Planning&Configuring Jon Boat Make Over

dbrev42
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Planning&Configuring Jon Boat Make Over

Post by dbrev42 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:04 am

Hey Guys i've been thinking of investing in a 14' jonboat and turning it into a bass boat for quite some time now, and i finally am getting serious about it. Some of my concerns are...
-is it possible to get a 14' jon boat with a consule, or can i make a custom made consule?
I want to equip it with hydraulic steering, a bow mount trolling motor,aerated livewell,plenty of storage,and a used outboard, which i am still searching for. I dont want to spend over $1000 if possible on the jon boat. All help is appreciated.Really want it to have a consule though if possible.

dampeoples
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Planning&Configuring Jon Boat Make Over

Post by dampeoples » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:21 pm

You can get Jon Boats with consoles, which in itself pisses your budget away. If you're planning on adding an outboard, and keeping it forever, you'll want to get a welded boat. Riveted boats are fine for trolling use, no slapping the water, but there goes your budget again :)

http://www.akmccallumco.com/

They're not close to you, but it's a good place to look stuff up, get an idea on what you're gonna need to spend. Most things can be had cheaper elsewhere, though.

Bait
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Planning&Configuring Jon Boat Make Over

Post by Bait » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:38 pm

There is a section devoted just for this over on bassresource.com.
A while back one of the guys went through the whole process and documented it with pictures. Check it out. I thought it was pretty cool.