Minn Kota Edge...Good motor ?

mojojojo7176
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Minn Kota Edge...Good motor ?

Post by mojojojo7176 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:27 pm

As you all have probably seen at Cabelas they have a few minn kota trolling motors on sale or special. Anywho, are the deals on the all terrains and reconditioned edges a good deal. Im looking to give minn kota a shot because the only thing Ive ever owned was motorguide and I have a feeling that there MIGHT be something better out there.

bryant
Angler
Angler

Re: Minn Kota Edge...Good motor ?

Post by bryant » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:50 pm

Minn kota is the only motor I use anymore after my motorguide quit and I have bought three different minnkota and they are all awesome motors. If you do choose a minn kota you will not be disappointed.

Charlie Tuna
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Charlie Tuna » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:31 pm

I fish a lot of trolling motor only lakes & only had a 44 lb motorguide. I decided to upgrade, I wanted at least a 70, but when I walked into BPS this spring, they had the All Terrain 65 for 299. Wow! what a great deal.

Actually, what a piece of crap. Customer service completely sucks. I could not get an answer for multiple days from their customer service number & emailed with no response. Actually still haven't heard from them.

If you ask 50 people what trolling motor they like, you'll have 25 die hard Motorguide fans & 25 die hard Minn Kota fans, but in my limited experience, Minn Kota is pure junk & customer service is non-existent(not an exaggeration.

Plastic coating is already wore off where the motor slides up on the mounting bracket, nearly impossible to control in high speed, needs mounted 4 inches off the front of the boat to keep from hitting.

Just my experience. Never own another.

CT

mojojojo7176
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mojojojo7176 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:15 pm

lol Thats kind of discouraging because my new minn kota should be here Tuesday. Well after its installed and I've gotten to use it several times I hope I'll have nothing but positive feedback for it.

Fbass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Fbass » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:35 pm

MinnKota is WAY better than MG! The all-terrain is the best value on the market. I've used one for years and it's great, I love it. I'm now forced to use a MG and I hate it. It's so loud, so rough, sometimes it just quit working for 5mn I don't know why.
You definitly made a good purchase, don't worry about a thing!

mojojojo7176
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mojojojo7176 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:50 pm

Well I just rec'd my new mk edge. Looks pretty just in the box, cant wait to get it mounted. I have a day off tomorrow so hopefully all will go swimmingly with the installation. Man I cant wait to take it out on its maiden voyage.

dampeoples
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dampeoples » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:48 pm

Charlie Tuna wrote:If you ask 50 people what trolling motor they like, you'll have 25 die hard Motorguide fans & 25 die hard Minn Kota fans
That said it all right there :)

I'm one of the MG fans, had the same two on my rig for the past ten years (electric only boat), no problems on anything except the connections when they get corroded, but there are guys that fish with us that have MK that have the same story. Pick one with the features you like in a price you can afford, and roll on.

Fbass - Check your breaker next time it quits working.

misr12
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by misr12 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:15 pm

Fbass wrote:MinnKota is WAY better than MG! The all-terrain is the best value on the market. I've used one for years and it's great, I love it. I'm now forced to use a MG and I hate it. It's so loud, so rough, sometimes it just quit working for 5mn I don't know why.
You definitly made a good purchase, don't worry about a thing!
I did switch from MG to MinnKota edge. I really regret it. I wanted to like the MK but that foot pedal really sucks!!!! Overall the motor experience is negligible at 70lb thrust. That is what I had been using (damaged in car accident) so I thought I give MK a try. Bad move on my part. That foot pedal is hit and miss with the activation button on the left side of the oversize pedal. DEFINATELY on my next boat I will be going back to Motor Guide. That foot pedal is a topic of negative discussion with all the MK users on the BFL I fish in. MK needs to address this issue.