Boating Safety Question

Kodiak
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Boating Safety Question

Post by Kodiak » Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:00 am

Had a scare recently.

My bass boat was lashed w/ fenders to the starboard side of the houseboat. We were headed up the Mcloud Arm at Shasta Lake when a jet boat burned by us at 60+mph. The wake shook both boats pretty bad - next thing, I noticed smoke from the bass boat engine compartment. I managed to get the fire out before it blew up, but it was a close call. The fuel line was burned all the way to the squeeze ball.

I have an older boat, an '84 Glastron. The rear compartment holds the fuel tanks, wiring for the electronics, motors, bilge, etc, and the batteries. I had my transom saver, tie-downs, flashlight, and a torque wrench stored back there. None of the batteries were knocked over, but all of the wiring was pretty much melted.

If anyone can figure out how the fire started(short circuit? acid leak?sparks from flying tools?) or how I could have prevented it, please let me know.

seasicknes
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Boating Safety Question

Post by seasicknes » Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:37 am

This is very interesting.

I have two boats and never had that problem.
I do keep tools in a seperate area and has a plastic case for them. So they won't scatter about. Plus its easier to find.

My batteries are housed in a plastic battery box and tie downs on them so they won't move or short out to anything that is metal. Click on this link to view how the battery box looks like.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... uctId=1259

All my wires are fastened down and are labeled in the battery area. Plus they are tiewrapped just in case. So if they ever come loose, they will not move and touch anything that can short out.

Is your boat an outboard or an inboard ? If its an inboard, when you open the engine cover, do you smell gas ? If you do, you got a small leak some where. Always turn on the exhuast fan before you turn on the motor. You don't want to blow up. won't be a pretty site.
Since you have your gas line all burned up, its time to replace all gas hoses and fittings. I suspect you had a small leak and leaked down the side of the gas hose. The fire traveled up the gas hose.

Ken (17' whaler / 22' hydrasports wa)

Kodiak
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kodiak » Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:59 am

I have a 90HP Mariner outboard. From the other folks I've talked to, either the wiring came loose and caused the short, or the terminals got crossed by something metal.

Lesson learned, I guess. Hopefully, it won't hurt too bad when I get the repair estimate.

Thanks for your help, Ken.

seasicknes
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by seasicknes » Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:15 am

Lesson learned....
I use nylox nuts on my battery terminals. This prevents it from backing out.
Its a good idea to put your loose tools in a plastic case. This way it won't be moving around back there.

Ken (170 whaler / 22' hydrasports wa)

bitesize
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bitesize » Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:35 pm

Man, that sure sounds scary. Sounds like your quick reaction saved
the day. One thing my buddy does each time before he goes fishing
in his boat is to check the fuel system along with other things like oil,
battery, etc. With an older boat, it's probably best if you do check
each time before going out. Good thing no one got hurt.
Keep fishin'! :wink: