ETEC 115 vs. Optimax 115 which one

misr12
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

ETEC 115 vs. Optimax 115 which one

Post by misr12 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:25 am

I have a 2003 Nitro 700LX (17ft. boat). I love the boat but am ready to upgrade my motor. I have a Mecury 60HP big foot two stroke and have enjoyed every minute of it. It works great (having it serviced it every year a big plus). Now I am ready to boost my performance. I do not want to trade in my boat I really like my setup. I would like to get comments from this forum regarding a 115 ETEC or Optimax engines. Which one would be best for my boat?

I have not interest upgrading to 18 to 20ft boat ( I have no interest). I do not know much about these engines except for adds and infomercials and I need comments and experiences from this forum.

Also, am I going to be taken to the wood shed on trade in? I have never done this before I and I want to be prepared and not shocked?

My boat is rated up to 125HP engine.

Thank in advance!

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: ETEC 115 vs. Optimax 115 which one

Post by Cal » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:39 am

I've read good and bad comments about both, and have certainly never owned either so it's tough to say.

One interesting thing I have read, and which you should call someone to verify if you're interested in the Evinrude, is that the ETEC's do not require break in period? If true, that might sway me cuz breaking in an outboard i a royal pain in the you know where.

Goodluck!
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

nfocus
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nfocus » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:32 am

I don't know about the Optimax or the ETEC, but I have a non-optimax Merc 115 on my Nitro (I have a Rick Clunn edition 170TF), which is very similar to yours. I jackplated it and put a ballistic prop on...it's crazy fast for it's size. A little scary, actually.

You'll definately get a LOT of extra performance out of it.

I wouldn't expect a lot on the trade in. You *might* get more of the motor if you just sold it outright yourself.

misr12
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by misr12 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:02 pm

nfocus wrote:I don't know about the Optimax or the ETEC, but I have a non-optimax Merc 115 on my Nitro (I have a Rick Clunn edition 170TF), which is very similar to yours. I jackplated it and put a ballistic prop on...it's crazy fast for it's size. A little scary, actually.

You'll definately get a LOT of extra performance out of it.

I wouldn't expect a lot on the trade in. You *might* get more of the motor if you just sold it outright yourself.
nfocus,

what does a jackplate cost? Not sure what it is or what it does? Is it a bridge between the motor and the boat? What did you pay for you Mer 115? What's the differenence between the Optimax and 2 stroke Mercury. I am leaning that way to mercury becasue of my existing mercury setup. Thanks for the info. Do you have any idea what I would expect to get for trade in?

Superduperman
Angler
Angler

Post by Superduperman » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:59 am

G'day G'day
Bloody oath if my 90HP e-tec is anything to go by, no break in period at all required, pushed 44miles/hour out of it on it's first day. Rippa of a day too, got bugger all fishing done coz i was too busy going fast! E-tec all the way!!! plus, if looks could kill then the E-tec would be top of the world's most wanted list!
Catch Ya's later
Tommo

Scot
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Scot » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:06 am

misr12...What kind of speeds are you getting from your rig? I had the exact same boat you have only a 2004 w/ a 90 Mercury 4-Stroke and like you...I loved it...for what it was...I've done alot of research having been an owner and I can tell you that I've read about guys spending tons of money and time to get 53-55 mph out of that boat. My boat was a 50 mph boat all day long out of the box and I'm not sure of the waters you're in but here on the Potomac...that boat required alot of skill to keep it on pad in the 45 mph+ range. It really didn't take much of a chop on the water to literally wear you out after a 20 mile run which always took about 40-45 minutes. You may be surprised at the deal you could work out on a new rig in the 18' range...I don't know how much but your looking at some real money for a new 115....several thousand at least. I knew somebody with a 115 on his 700LX and at 51/52 mph he couldn't give it any more gas because the boat became uncontrollable in most conditions, he commented that he should have saved some money by buying a 90hp. On a moderate sized lake or reservoir it's a great boat...for a large River... :|

Drop me a pm if you have any questions I may be able to help you with.

misr12
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by misr12 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:23 pm

Scot wrote:misr12...What kind of speeds are you getting from your rig? I had the exact same boat you have only a 2004 w/ a 90 Mercury 4-Stroke and like you...I loved it...for what it was...I've done alot of research having been an owner and I can tell you that I've read about guys spending tons of money and time to get 53-55 mph out of that boat. My boat was a 50 mph boat all day long out of the box and I'm not sure of the waters you're in but here on the Potomac...that boat required alot of skill to keep it on pad in the 45 mph+ range. It really didn't take much of a chop on the water to literally wear you out after a 20 mile run which always took about 40-45 minutes. You may be surprised at the deal you could work out on a new rig in the 18' range...I don't know how much but your looking at some real money for a new 115....several thousand at least. I knew somebody with a 115 on his 700LX and at 51/52 mph he couldn't give it any more gas because the boat became uncontrollable in most conditions, he commented that he should have saved some money by buying a 90hp. On a moderate sized lake or reservoir it's a great boat...for a large River... :|

Drop me a pm if you have any questions I may be able to help you with.
Scot,

Thanks for the post. My rig with 60HP big foot on a 700LX on my GPS tops out consistatntly at 37.5 mph without current running on Lay Lake Resevoir (big reseovoir). I have attached a Stingray fin that has really helped my performance with my Mercury 60 big foot. After two years I am ready to upgrade.

So you are saying things could get out of control with a 115 motor? Hmmm..... I am open to your suggestions. I am just wanting more HP but not a the risk of it being dangerous. How much can I save by going with a 90 Optimax or ETEC? I am very early in this endeavor. By learning from everyones comments in this forum I hope to optimize my boat upgrade. Thanks for your comments. You have given me something to think about. I just assumed that my boat being rated up to 125Hp motor that a 115 would be a optimum and safe fit for my boat. I haven't consider trading in thinking that I would take a beating on that transaction. Plus I really like my boat. Thanks again.

misr12
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by misr12 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:39 pm

Would a jackplate take the chop out when going faster on this style boat? I am so ignorant to many terms. What is chop issues at faster speeds? Thanks again. I am learning (grin)...... Thanks to everyones comments on this forum.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:53 pm

I would check about the jackplate depending on the off set and such. I was going to get one for my boat to push the motor back into "clean" water and see how the performance would be, but the guys where I take the boat to said it wouldnt be worth it. I think on Bigger HP motors and boats it makes a HUGE difference, but not on smaller boats.
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

Klinger N OK
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Klinger N OK » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:10 pm

A jackplate could definitely help by providing more lift. More lift means less wetted surface which can give you a little more speed. It also allows the prop to run in less turbulent water which increases efficiency. Just about any pad/Vee type boat like most bass boats are, will benefit from a jackplate. I recall a shootout or articles about the 115 hp motors in Bass and Walleye Boats. You might check their website to see. The ETEC and Optimax are 2-stroke motors that are direct injected. The ETEC uses a solenoid type system to inject fuel directly into the combustion chamber, while the Opti (And Yamaha HPDI)uses compressed air to force the fuel/air mix into the combustion chamber. They both are WAY more efficient than older "normal" 2-stroke technology. By the way, a different prop can make a huge difference in performance too. If you are running an aluminum prop, a stainless prop can give you some serious gains in performance too. Also, almost all the comparisons I've seen between direct injected 2-strokes, and equally sized 4- strokes- the D.I. 2-strokes smoke 'em in both performance and economy.

misr12
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by misr12 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:30 pm

So prop would make a difference too. Wow!!! So many things to consider. Not overwhelming but cool. It's almost like working on my old muscle cars in the early 70's (grin). Where would I go to find out what would be optimum performance prop for a 115 size motor if it's not to much motor for my 700LX?

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:09 pm

I know a lot rave about the E-Tec.

It was brand new when I was looking for a boat/motor. I wound up with a 4-stroke Johnson (Suzuki).

I've talked to several that got an E-Tec rather than a 4 on the exact same boat as I have. And I've seen that even though my motor is nearly 400 pounds heavier, and a 4-stroke, I'm getting slightly better performance out of my Johnson than they are out of their E-Tec. Not superior performance, just slightly better.

The block my motor is made from is the 90/115/140 block.

There isn't enough money out there to make me even consider the Opti. I know too many people that have had too many problems. I wouldn't even casually look at that motor.

Between E-Tec and Opti...there isn't even a choice for me.

Between the E-Tec and the Japanese 4's...there are a couple of good options. But I don't think you'd go wrong with the E. It's been around long enough now that if it were bad, lots of people would be complaining. I certainly hear more complaints about the Opti than I do the E.

Props make a huge difference. Mine was propped well from the dealer. Have talked to many that weren't so lucky.

Try Bass & Walleye Boats magazine. Lots of good stuff in there.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Otterods - High performance hand crafted fishing rods
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

misr12
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by misr12 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:07 am

Matt,

Thanks for the info. My head keeps saying ETEC but I do not know the cost of changing out my existing Ntiro with Mecury 60 bigfoot wiring system to ETEC. Is this a major deal/cost? My brother thought there were adapters that would allow ETECS to work with my current (Mercury) setup. I am not sure of the additional cost. Can anyone suggest a good ETEC dealer within 150 miles of Birmingham, AL? I am willing to drive to reliable ETEC if I decide to go that direction. Although, you mentioned Optimax issues per Mercury owners. I have owned my Mercury for two years with no issues at all. Could that be related to not getting engine serviced regularly (yearly)? Maybe I need to read up on Suziki block per your experience. I will since time is on my side. Thanks!

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:59 am

misr12 wrote:Matt,

Thanks for the info. My head keeps saying ETEC but I do not know the cost of changing out my existing Ntiro with Mecury 60 bigfoot wiring system to ETEC. Is this a major deal/cost? My brother thought there were adapters that would allow ETECS to work with my current (Mercury) setup. I am not sure of the additional cost. Can anyone suggest a good ETEC dealer within 150 miles of Birmingham, AL? I am willing to drive to reliable ETEC if I decide to go that direction. Although, you mentioned Optimax issues per Mercury owners. I have owned my Mercury for two years with no issues at all. Could that be related to not getting engine serviced regularly (yearly)? Maybe I need to read up on Suziki block per your experience. I will since time is on my side. Thanks!

Some guys like their Mercs. I'm not one of them. Seems like every crappy running motor I hear over the top of my Johnson is a Merc. The guys that I know that have had problems aren't the kind of guys that baby everything they own but they don't neglect it either. They're running Yamaha or Suzuki now.

If I were buying my boat all over today...it would be a tough choice.

I can't say what rerigging would cost.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Otterods - High performance hand crafted fishing rods
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

Klinger N OK
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Klinger N OK » Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:39 am

Your best bet for performance info will be on Bassboatcentral. They have a setups guide that list owners performance on lots of boats. They also have a couple of boat/motor gurus that can answer about any question. As far as problems with Opti's vs. ETEC. I know people that run both and the ETEC has been a great motor so far, but its very new. Its similar yet a large step in the evolution of the previous generation FICHT motors. The older Opti's were very problematic(Just like the older FICHT's) a few years ago, but the last couple of years they seem to have worked the bugs out (IMO). The big problem with these motors is there is alot more to go wrong compared to old school 2-strokes! Like Mattman and I said, also check Bass and Walleye Boats for info too.