Change color of hollow body frog

Can't find what you're looking for in a catalog or in the store shelves? Ever think about just making it yourself? Come share your inspirations and creations with fellow tinkerers in TackleTour's Garage Baits forum!
cumara
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Change color of hollow body frog

Post by cumara » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:14 am

Hello, has anyone had success using dye or paint to make a white hollow body frog black? I found one note about using Rit Dye More, but I'm wondering if soaking it in Spike It or something similar would work?

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Change color of hollow body frog

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:53 am

Probably work, but probably no different than grabbing a black marker and going to town. If you want the color absorbed, you'll need to apply heat and that is where Rit comes in. You'll need a bridge (I use an old metal hanger), something to suspend the part (I use paper clips), and a pot of water to start. Heat the water to a too hot to comfortably touch temp (but BELOW simmer), add dye, find a way to suspend the part (fill it with water and hang a small weight on it or whatever) then give it a good 15 minutes in the potion. The longer in, the deeper the color transfer. Do not let your lure touch the pot.

I've not tried this with a frog, but have dyed plastics several times using Rit and it works really good. I see no reason it won't work with a frog. The color transfer will be permanent, not just a surface coat.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Change color of hollow body frog

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:47 am

Seems like a trip to the tackle store would be far easier...