First pours

Can't find what you're looking for in a catalog or in the store shelves? Ever think about just making it yourself? Come share your inspirations and creations with fellow tinkerers in TackleTour's Garage Baits forum!
sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

First pours

Post by sarcazmo » Sat May 17, 2014 12:49 pm

Finally got around to pouring some baits.

Got a couple more on the way! Fun stuff!

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: First pours

Post by vinnieb729 » Sat May 17, 2014 2:33 pm

I love it, looks fantastic…I've been seriously debating about doing this…I'm pretty occupied with making rods, but I have a bunch of sites bookmarked about making soft plastics…wanna divulge any trade secrets or tips you figured out? Any info on the supplies?

MRQturbo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MRQturbo » Sat May 17, 2014 4:20 pm

where did you get the moulds from....

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Sun May 18, 2014 12:07 am

You've done it now!!!!! I remember starting to build spinnerbaits, then it was jigs then I began bending my own wire forms and the paint, and the skirt material and let me tell you plastic is even worse. There are literally thousands of colorants, and glitters and add to that the recipes for harder or softer plastic and all the shapes, oh my are you going to spend some money!!! On a serious note the baits look fantastic, no dents or voids visible and those two things are what normally occurs when you first begin pouring plastic, I have a bunch of lead molds and pait along with skirt material and hooks and I was going to start making plastic but the look on my wife's face when I was going to start that made me reconsider. You are off to a great start, keep pouring and look to Tackle underground for help along with good advice, good luck on your next pour!!

sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sarcazmo » Sun May 18, 2014 9:04 am

vinnieb729 wrote:I love it, looks fantastic…I've been seriously debating about doing this…I'm pretty occupied with making rods, but I have a bunch of sites bookmarked about making soft plastics…wanna divulge any trade secrets or tips you figured out? Any info on the supplies?
Man thats a pretty loaded question. As I sit here writing this and contemplate on all the plastics I've purchased just in the past year, I now realize that had I purchased my favorite molds etc I would have saved a CRAZY amount of money. I've really come to realize how ridiculously expensive fishing accessories are, jigs, plastics etc.

Starting out this is what I would do. First, figure out what you use most. Lets be honest we all have a million plastic baits but realistically we throw maybe a dozen on a regular basis. From that dozen narrow it down to maybe your three or four favorite, worm, stick, creature, craw, dropshot, etc.

Once you've narrowed it down start hunting for molds. You'll need to decide whether or not you want to hand pour or inject. Inject seems more efficient to me. Making your baits is very easy and doesn't take long, but I'd look for molds that are at least two cavity.

So now you've figure out what molds you have you need to figure out what colors you want! I'd recommend buying as many small colors as you can so you can experiment, as well as glitter.

You'll also need the actual plastic (plastisol).

I started with 1 6oz injector, 4 molds, 7 colors, two pyrex measuring cups, measuring spoons in all sizes, 4 glitters, lots of gloves, some scent, some heat stabilizer, worm oil etc, respirator. I'll add more as I remember. I even bought a presto pot... Dont buy one to start. They are HUGE and you won't be doing a gigantic volume.

Sites that I researched quite a bit were probably tackleunderground.com and the baitjunkys.com forum.

The molds in the photos were purchased from lurepartsonline, basstackle, and jacobs baits.

Any other questions I'd be happy to answer. I dont have them all but I like to help.

sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sarcazmo » Sun May 18, 2014 9:04 am

vinnieb729 wrote:I love it, looks fantastic…I've been seriously debating about doing this…I'm pretty occupied with making rods, but I have a bunch of sites bookmarked about making soft plastics…wanna divulge any trade secrets or tips you figured out? Any info on the supplies?
Its super easy, one gallon of plastic will make a million baits, and you should do it already! Also keep an eye on the classifieds sections of tackleunderground and baitjunkys. You can save a lot of money.

stalking coyote
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by stalking coyote » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:58 pm

MRQturbo wrote:where did you get the moulds from....
Ditto .. where did you get those molds done up at .. gives me a few ideas .. please let me know. Thanks.