Custom Owner Hook Jig

Can't find what you're looking for in a catalog or in the store shelves? Ever think about just making it yourself? Come share your inspirations and creations with fellow tinkerers in TackleTour's Garage Baits forum!
smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Custom Owner Hook Jig

Post by smalljaw » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:56 am

Here is what I call my "Power Finesse" jig, it is 3/8oz ball head with a 3/0 Owner 5313 hook, the hook is a 90 degree extra strong short shank so it can be fished on heavier line unlike normal Aberdeen style hooks and since it is a short shank hook it makes it really compact. The weed guard is a fine fiber guard that is 5/64" diameter, this will allow the jig to be used in and around moderate cover without getting hung , yet there will be little concern for it hindering the hook set. The skirt is living image and bio-silk silicone, 44 strands total and is tied with 210 denier Danville flat waxed nylon, this is one bad little jig, I'm going to give it a go all season but I have some small 2.5" chunks that should go well with the jig to make a great cold water presentation.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Custom Owner Hook Jig

Post by Jeffbro999 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:09 am

Nice jig. Sweet hook. Looks great. Wish more jigs came with Owner hooks, they are so sharp and stay sharp. Have you used this hook before, wondering how good the hookup rate is w/the short shank. The Deep Throat hook is the best there is IMO but see the need for these short shank hooks on some jigs.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:07 pm

JBcrankaddict wrote:Nice jig. Sweet hook. Looks great. Wish more jigs came with Owner hooks, they are so sharp and stay sharp. Have you used this hook before, wondering how good the hookup rate is w/the short shank. The Deep Throat hook is the best there is IMO but see the need for these short shank hooks on some jigs.
I was told about the hook from a friend so I modified my mold to accept it. The short shank makes the hook close to the same size as a 2/0 hook but it still have the 3/0 gap so it should hook great. I needed a heavy finesse jig and this should work, I love making the Eakins style jigs but even they are too much and that is where this one falls in, I'll give it a go and send a few out for anglers to try.

Eric Walsh
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Eric Walsh » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:40 pm

Smalljaw, I fish a very rocky creek/ river for smallies and was wondering if your ballheads are less prone to
snags than the standard football head. TIA and nice looking jig btw, Eric.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:13 pm

Eric Walsh wrote:Smalljaw, I fish a very rocky creek/ river for smallies and was wondering if your ballheads are less prone to
snags than the standard football head. TIA and nice looking jig btw, Eric.
Eric, thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it. I fish a rocky river, the Susquehanna and Juniata rivers in PA and this jig I wouldn't throw on the river because it weighs too much. The river I fish I use ball heads and football heads in 1/16oz up to 1/4oz, larger jigs tend to get wedged in the rock but this jig here I made for docks and moderate cover in 5' to 8' of water which is why I made it in 3/8oz. I'm working on using the Owner 5313 in a 1/0 for a 1/8oz jig of the same type, the short shank makes the jig compact which is what works in my waters when the fish don't want the normal jigs. The 1/8oz version is one I would use in the river and the thing about the Susquehanna river is I'm fishing in 6' of water and less all the time with a few exceptions and because it is shallow and rocky the only time I use like a 1/4oz is when we get a good rain and the water rises and the current speeds up but other than that scenario we use smaller weights as it helps keep from getting wedged in the rocks.

Eric Walsh
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Eric Walsh » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:10 am

Thank you for the reply - always looking for that 3/16 - 1/4 oz jig that is snagproof! :lol:

NJ Jigman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NJ Jigman » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:30 am

nice looking jig, the short shank hook keeps the jig nice and small for that finesse look. I tie a very similar jig usually on a 3/16 f-ball w/ a short shank hook and i tie some bucktail under the silicone for some extra flair. very smallie friendly looking jig, nice work

tim3716
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tim3716 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:43 am

Sweet jig