Custom baits

Can't find what you're looking for in a catalog or in the store shelves? Ever think about just making it yourself? Come share your inspirations and creations with fellow tinkerers in TackleTour's Garage Baits forum!
11kalnmitc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Custom baits

Post by 11kalnmitc » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:51 pm

Alright I'm doing so research for a class I'm taking and I was hoping some of you could help me. I just want to get an idea of how many people on this forum make their own custom baits and have sold them or would like to start selling their own baits soon. So if you could post on this topic and just state what type of baits you make and what state you are located in, I would really appreciate as many responses as I could get.

Thanks to all who help :D

NJ Jigman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Custom baits

Post by NJ Jigman » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:55 am

I make and sell jigs. don't sell much though, because you'ld have to sell 100's to make any kind of profit. I should start making, painting and selling crankbaits for 15-20$ a pop then I'd make some money

11kalnmitc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 11kalnmitc » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:59 am

Thanks for the reply!
Come on guys there's more of you i know it!

tim3716
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tim3716 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:23 pm

I make soft plastic bait in Virginia. Just like the other person you dont really get much profit from selling the baits unless you sell a lot of them.

11kalnmitc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 11kalnmitc » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:48 am

nice, im trying to get as many responses as possible by the end of august so i can get some data for a class, so keep em' comin!

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:58 am

You will get some replies but a lot of guys do this under the radar so to speak because having to pay a 10% excise tax on everything you sell makes it tough to sell small quantities and still make enough to pay for supplies. I think if you ask how many guys make their own tackle regardless if they sell lures or not and don't concern yourself on the state you'll get a broder picture but if you want a sample that includes geography then you will have to cast a lot larger net as a very small amount of anglers use this site as it is mostly for gear enthusiasts. I'm only trying to help you out because you want specific info regarding state and even though it is a just a few people there will be those that don't want it known just for research, after all you may be an IRS agent, who knows?

80pruf
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by 80pruf » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:07 am

I own a tackle business making custom spinnerbaits, buzzbaits and jigs. One of the previous posts was absolutely correct...I have to pay that terrible 10% federal excise tax. My business is not a hobby.

11kalnmitc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 11kalnmitc » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:45 am

smalljaw wrote:after all you may be an IRS agent, who knows?
Fair enough, it is the internet.....however im not :lol:

I was hoping to get a good bit on geography too, so yes, I may have to find another site to try unfortunately. TT has so many followers and has answered so many questions I figured I would try here first, plus I'm already registered on here. You are right though this site doesn't have exactly the right demographic for this topic. Many of the people who post new topics in the custom bait section are the same people and it is more geared towards the enthusiast and the actual "understanding" of different techniques and fishing in and of itself.

Thanks