Finesse jig thread and skirt options?

Can't find what you're looking for in a catalog or in the store shelves? Ever think about just making it yourself? Come share your inspirations and creations with fellow tinkerers in TackleTour's Garage Baits forum!
smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Finesse jig thread and skirt options?

Post by smalljaw » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:27 am

Here is a pick of my latest finesse jigs, the left side is 5/16oz and the right side is 7/16oz with the color being Missouri craw. The question I have is do I go with a sparse skirt like the 5/16oz or do I go with a heavier multi layer skirt like what is on the 7/16oz? I'm asking because I have always made them for myself with a sparse skirt and trailer and I have done well but fishing with a friend the other day he was using a booyah bed bug and it had a lot more material and it was working well, I caught more fish but not a lot more but his were bigger on average so I'm thinking the bigger profile will be better but then is it really finesse? I would also like the opinion on the thread color, I normally tie that color with black thread, but I can't remember were I read it but someone was tying jigs and they would tie in red hackle around the head in order to represent gills flaring so I decided to tie one like that and while I will let the fish tell me if I should keep it I thought I would ask the TT crowd of their opinion. BTW the thread is Danville flymaster 210 denier flat waxed nylon sealed with hard as hull cement, the hook in the 5/16oz jig is an Owner 5326 cross-eye hook and the 7/16oz has a Mustad 32798, I should have included that since this is Tackle Tour.

Imavol
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Finesse jig thread and skirt options?

Post by Imavol » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:13 am

Here is how I do mine. I like the smaller skirt for a faster fall. I tie with wire also instead of thread.
Attachments
IMG_5786-002.JPG
IMG_5786-002.JPG (49.32 KiB) Viewed 5624 times

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:55 pm

Imavol wrote:Here is how I do mine. I like the smaller skirt for a faster fall. I tie with wire also instead of thread.

I'm curious to how many strands or tabs, my jig with the sparse skirt I used 20 strands of base color and then 10 strands of black with those being the only ones out the top of the collar. The jig on the right I used 30 strands on the bottom and 20 strands on the "2nd level" if you will with all of them coming out above the collar as a crop top. I know this is going to slow the fall some and that is good for this type of jig but I just have a hard time wrapping my head around it being a better alternative to a traditional style jig, but I'm going to see how the fuller skirt heavier jig does when fished side by side with a regular flipping style jig that is close to the same weight and let that determine how to proceed.

Imavol
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Imavol » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:38 am

I tie mine with one tab. If I want to add a second color it will only be about 7 or 8 strands. Cut the tab in half and make a one piece skirt. I feel that I get more flare that way.

Gleedaniel13
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Gleedaniel13 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:13 pm

The question I have is do I go with a sparse skirt like the 5/16oz or do I go with a heavier multi layer skirt like what is on the 7/16oz? I'm asking because I have always made them for myself with a sparse skirt and trailer and I have done well but fishing with a friend the other day he was using a booyah bed bug and it had a lot more material and it was working well, I caught more fish but not a lot more but his were bigger on average so I'm thinking the bigger profile will be better but then is it really finesse?
I think you should have to pick the bigger one so that you can have the bigger caught. I think the bigger is much accurate and applicable for small and big ones.

NJ Jigman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NJ Jigman » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:42 pm

I like the thicker skirt on your jig. I make jigs too and tie bucktail under a tab and a half to get a slow fall needed for finicky smallmouth in the spring and late fall