Inline spinner wire selection.

Can't find what you're looking for in a catalog or in the store shelves? Ever think about just making it yourself? Come share your inspirations and creations with fellow tinkerers in TackleTour's Garage Baits forum!
Juxtapoisson
Angler
Angler

Inline spinner wire selection.

Post by Juxtapoisson » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:10 pm

Does anyone have a chart or other collection of data with suggestions for certain wire types/gauges for certain fish or certain fish aprox weights?
Wire for making in-line spinners, I mean.

Jansnetcraft has lb test of the various wires, but I suspect that to be an unwise approach to my question. A fish too light to break the wire may be heavy enough to effect the wire wraps at the front and back of the spinner.

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Inline spinner wire selection.

Post by angry john » Mon May 06, 2013 3:14 am

i did a lot of the same type of looking. Depending on what your making the lure for, the size of the building components would be the most critical. The clevis hole size etc. The light wire will bend more, and will make the lure easier to make. It will also make the lure a lot easier to bend up, and not last as long. If you have a mic or calipers, measure some pre-made lures like vibrax or mepps for a good starting point. The wire thickness can be used to add weight as well so less components are needed.