Vice for making in-line spinners?

Can't find what you're looking for in a catalog or in the store shelves? Ever think about just making it yourself? Come share your inspirations and creations with fellow tinkerers in TackleTour's Garage Baits forum!
Juxtapoisson
Angler
Angler

Vice for making in-line spinners?

Post by Juxtapoisson » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:02 pm

I saw on some random forum some time ago that a gentleman had a heavy metal object that he used for making inline spinners. My real question is, what is this thing called? I am not sure "vice" is a suitable word.

The device had crank arms on it for twisting the wire - in addition to holding the partially made spinner in place. I have no idea where he got it, or when. The guys at Basspro looked at me like I was dumb when I tried to ask about it, but honestly, they usually do that.

Does anyone have any idea what I am talking about? I feel "vice" is probably not the right word, because it isn't getting me any useful google hits.

Juxtapoisson
Angler
Angler

Re: Vice for making in-line spinners?

Post by Juxtapoisson » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:05 pm

Oh, if you know what it is and want to offer opinions about it, that's good too.

Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Thor » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:54 pm

If you want to make inline spinners, then very few tools are required since wire forms are available. If you want to bend your own wire, then a wire bending tool is necessary and the TwisTech is a good option.

Juxtapoisson
Angler
Angler

Post by Juxtapoisson » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:32 am

Thank you Thor, that is exactly the kind of thing I was trying to figure out.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:33 am

You more than likely saw a Boggs Tackle maker or a Hagens Wire Former, both are good. The twistech is a good tool also but it really limits the size wire you can use, the last time I looked at a twistech the largest wire was .037 but you could buy an new head that would be good to do .041 but a Boggs, which I recommend, you can choose your wire size right when you buy it and then add on later for less money. If you are only going to do a certain range and know for certain that you aren't going to use large diameter wire then I'd go for the Twisteh, because it is well made and has a great price for the quality of the tool but it isn't as versatile which is the only negative so in a certain size range it would be the best tool.