Getting jigs out of the mold

Can't find what you're looking for in a catalog or in the store shelves? Ever think about just making it yourself? Come share your inspirations and creations with fellow tinkerers in TackleTour's Garage Baits forum!
Shimano-Or-Nothing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Getting jigs out of the mold

Post by Shimano-Or-Nothing » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:47 am

I just started pouring my own jigs. Everything has been going smooth outside of getting the jigs out of the mold. I am using the Do-It Football Weedless Jig Mixed Hook mold and smoking it with a candle till it turns black.

Does anyone have advise on what else I could do?

flippinfool
Angler
Angler

Re: Getting jigs out of the mold

Post by flippinfool » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:46 pm

Get used to it. I have over 100 do-it molds and not one them just pours and drops out. Smoking the mold helps a little but mold release is a better product. Just spray it on and let it dry. Put it in front of a fan for 10min and start pouring. http://www.barlowstackle.com/Casting-Re ... 61C62.aspx
You can grab the sprue or just tap the sprue to get them out. Polishing with a dremel also helps. Don't be tempted to grab the hook. It will just loosen in the head I could write a book on how to pour. Every mold has it's little tricks. If you are pouring with weed guards stay away from the metal pins use teflon pins.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:54 am

flippinfool wrote: Every mold has it's little tricks.
I'll 2nd that. Every mold has a best way to get the casting out.

Shimano-Or-Nothing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Shimano-Or-Nothing » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:45 am

Alright, I'll keep playing around with it. I've poured 3 times now and each time the it gets a little easier.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:06 pm

Franklin Aresenal Dropout or PB Blaster Dry Graphite Lube, either of those sprayed lightly into the cavities will not only have your jigs fall out of the mold, it will also lessen the amount of incomplete pours if you have that happen. I've been pouring jigs and spinnerbait head for over 15 years and this Dropout is the real deal when it comes to a mold release.

Shimano-Or-Nothing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Shimano-Or-Nothing » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:11 pm

smalljaw wrote:Franklin Aresenal Dropout or PB Blaster Dry Graphite Lube, either of those sprayed lightly into the cavities will not only have your jigs fall out of the mold, it will also lessen the amount of incomplete pours if you have that happen. I've been pouring jigs and spinnerbait head for over 15 years and this Dropout is the real deal when it comes to a mold release.
Do you smoke the mold and spray it, or is the spray all you need?

flippinfool
Angler
Angler

Post by flippinfool » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:05 am

Clean the mold with Denatured alcohol to remove all residue. I prefer to mask off area's of the mold that don't need it. Spray it and let it dry. Pull off the tape and start pouring.

Shimano-Or-Nothing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Shimano-Or-Nothing » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:47 am

I'm not sure when my next pour session will be, but I'll definitely put these points you guys have given me in play. I already ordered the teflon pins (I was using metal before) and Franklin Aresenal Dropout. Thank you so much!

cadman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cadman » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:23 am

smalljaw wrote:Franklin Aresenal Dropout or PB Blaster Dry Graphite Lube, either of those sprayed lightly into the cavities will not only have your jigs fall out of the mold, it will also lessen the amount of incomplete pours if you have that happen. I've been pouring jigs and spinnerbait head for over 15 years and this Dropout is the real deal when it comes to a mold release.
x2, go with a mold release product, and 90% of your problems will be over. I have over 100 molds as well, and ever since I used mold release, 1/2 of my molds, the jig just falls out. You will definitely see a difference.
Last edited by cadman on Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flippinfool
Angler
Angler

Post by flippinfool » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:44 pm

Well there you have it. Words spoken from smalljaw and cadman. You can't go wrong. These two guy's have spent so much time helping others my hat's off to both of you. =D>

Shimano-Or-Nothing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Shimano-Or-Nothing » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:48 pm

I thought I would do a quick update since I had a chance to pour using teflon pins and mold release. You guys couldn't have been more right about both.

Now I don't have to use the dremel as much with the teflon pins. I leave them in when I powder coat and the hole for the weed guard doesn't get mucked up.

The Franklin Arsenal release spray is so much better than smoking with a candle. My jigs are pretty much falling out of the molds now. I want to thank everyone for the help its made pouring jigs a much smoother process. I want to post some of my work eventually to see how I stack up. Thanks again.