Best Do-it swim jig mold??

Can't find what you're looking for in a catalog or in the store shelves? Ever think about just making it yourself? Come share your inspirations and creations with fellow tinkerers in TackleTour's Garage Baits forum!
80pruf
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Best Do-it swim jig mold??

Post by 80pruf » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:28 am

Looking for some opinions here. I want to pour some swim jigs but when I looked at the Do-it website I am not sure which one would be best suited for fishing around grass. I looked at the Poison Tail, the Snootie and the casting jig. I am mostly concerned with 3/8 oz. I prefere a 5/0 hook if possible. I am very impressed with the Buckeye J-will swim jig but obviously I can't just buy that mold. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Best Do-it swim jig mold??

Post by cjtoad » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:55 am

The weedless casting mold is what I use. I just poured 50 with a bismuth/tin mix a week ago. It's by far one of my favorite molds.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:00 am

Casting, Snootie, and Bullet are the weedless jigs to use around grass. You need that pointed nose and slim body for grass. Jigs with wider heads, like the Poison Tail, catch the grass too much
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

saradavison
Angler
Angler

Post by saradavison » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:38 pm

i enjoying to swimming...

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:23 am

I have the Snootie mold and it is by far the most versatile jig ever made. I make a small flipping jig with it as well as a swim jig and I also use the head with a small drop of super glue to fish hollow body swimbaits. As a swim jig it is phenominal, I'm not sure if it is the head shape or hook position or perhaps a combination of the two but it comes through grass better than any jig I've used previously. Mattman is correct, I tried the poison tail in grass and it doesn't come close to coming through the stuff like the snootie, so I use them more for flipping and the smaller sizes as finesse jigs. The weedless casting jig and the bullet are fairly close, the shape comes through grass really well also but I still prefer the Snootie as the line tie doesn't pick up as much garbage as the casting and bullet jigs do.
Barlow's Tackle