Question About Painting Tungsten

Can't find what you're looking for in a catalog or in the store shelves? Ever think about just making it yourself? Come share your inspirations and creations with fellow tinkerers in TackleTour's Garage Baits forum!
Sledgehammer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Question About Painting Tungsten

Post by Sledgehammer » Mon May 14, 2012 10:32 am

I have a bunch of unpainted tungsten weights that I really wanted to paint but have no idea how to get a paint on them that will be durable. I have searched on here and I keep finding post about powder paint but its all on lead so I didnt know if it would work on tungsten. Anybody else paint their tungsten weights? Any help would be awesome I have about 20 packs of strike king tungsten weights im not using because their all unpainted

Ryan

Imavol
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Question About Painting Tungsten

Post by Imavol » Tue May 15, 2012 7:44 am

I have tried a bunch of different things, powder, epoxy, lacquer, enamel, and have not found anything that would stick yet. The problem is that tungsten is so hard nothing will stick to it. If you find something let me know.

Sledgehammer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Sledgehammer » Tue May 15, 2012 12:48 pm

that was my fear...Im thinking about getting all the stuff for powder painting and if it doesnt work I can just start using it all to do my own jig heads. I will keep searching and if I find anything I will make sure to post it

Imavol
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Imavol » Wed May 16, 2012 8:34 am

I am in the paint business, have been for 25 years. Whatever these company's are using to paint their tungsten with from the factory they must be applying it when the tungsten is still hot to get it to bond with it.

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by facelessnewsouth » Wed May 16, 2012 1:19 pm

Found this on another forum.
"Putt" says:

I buy Tru Tungsten weights unpainted. They don't have a plastic insert. I cut a piece of wire about 4 inches long and kink it a little to hold the weight in place at the end of the wire.

I then heat the weight with a small butane torch for approximately 15 seconds for a 3/8 weight, more time for larger weights and I've done them up to one ounce. After heating I dip them in the powder which will stick immediately and melt into a smooth finish. The weights will work fine after this step but the finish is a little brittle and can be improved by heating in an oven at 250 degrees for about 10 minutes. After the curing step they are just about chip proof.

You can powder coat anything metal and melting point has nothing to do with the process. Just play around with heating the weights until you get your timing right and you'll be powder coating in no time with no preparation or mess.

It's so easy a caveman can do it.

Sledgehammer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Sledgehammer » Wed May 16, 2012 10:12 pm

facelessnewsouth wrote:Found this on another forum.
"Putt" says:

I buy Tru Tungsten weights unpainted. They don't have a plastic insert. I cut a piece of wire about 4 inches long and kink it a little to hold the weight in place at the end of the wire.

I then heat the weight with a small butane torch for approximately 15 seconds for a 3/8 weight, more time for larger weights and I've done them up to one ounce. After heating I dip them in the powder which will stick immediately and melt into a smooth finish. The weights will work fine after this step but the finish is a little brittle and can be improved by heating in an oven at 250 degrees for about 10 minutes. After the curing step they are just about chip proof.

You can powder coat anything metal and melting point has nothing to do with the process. Just play around with heating the weights until you get your timing right and you'll be powder coating in no time with no preparation or mess.

It's so easy a caveman can do it.
I plan on trying it out this way just have to buy all the stuff to powder paint. I will post any results . Thanks for tbe info

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by cjtoad » Wed May 16, 2012 11:30 pm

I've had pretty good luck powder coating them. Usually bake them a little longer than I would with lead weights. Getting the temp right in the oven is the big thing, to hot and the powder drips off and to low and it isn't hard enough. Paint doesn't seem to work at all for me, just peels off after hitting the water a couple of times.

Sledgehammer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Sledgehammer » Thu May 17, 2012 4:51 pm

cjtoad wrote:I've had pretty good luck powder coating them. Usually bake them a little longer than I would with lead weights. Getting the temp right in the oven is the big thing, to hot and the powder drips off and to low and it isn't hard enough. Paint doesn't seem to work at all for me, just peels off after hitting the water a couple of times.
What do you use to preheat them with. Im trying to decide between a torch or a heatgun? Do you use a fluid bed?

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by cjtoad » Thu May 17, 2012 5:57 pm

Torch and yes a fluid bed is best, to get a thin even coat.

Sledgehammer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Sledgehammer » Thu May 17, 2012 8:21 pm

Awesome! Just have to order everything and i will be giving it a shot

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by cjtoad » Thu May 17, 2012 9:36 pm

Good luck.

panyafish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by panyafish » Sat May 19, 2012 11:51 pm

Powdercoating is pretty easy for small sinkers and leadheads. I use a propane torch to heat it for a few seconds and then quickly dip it in the powdercoat. You can then cure it in a cheap little toaster oven for 10 minutes or so at 200 degrees F. You don't want to be "cooking" yoour lures in an oven thats being used for food :D even though the process is surprisingly nontoxic compared to regular painting since there are no solvents.

About the only thing you have to watch for is to not go too high in temperature when heating with a propane torch or the powdercoat will start to bubble :!: Also, make sure to clean out the powderpaint from any holes BEFORE you do the final bake because the stuff is really hard to remove once it's cured.

Sledgehammer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Sledgehammer » Tue May 22, 2012 4:53 am

panyafish wrote:Powdercoating is pretty easy for small sinkers and leadheads. I use a propane torch to heat it for a few seconds and then quickly dip it in the powdercoat. You can then cure it in a cheap little toaster oven for 10 minutes or so at 200 degrees F. You don't want to be "cooking" yoour lures in an oven thats being used for food :D even though the process is surprisingly nontoxic compared to regular painting since there are no solvents.

About the only thing you have to watch for is to not go too high in temperature when heating with a propane torch or the powdercoat will start to bubble :!: Also, make sure to clean out the powderpaint from any holes BEFORE you do the final bake because the stuff is really hard to remove once it's cured.
Thanks for the tips. I plan on getting some cheap lead weights to practice on first to get the hang of it

Crankbaitmaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Crankbaitmaker » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:46 am

I take some Devcon 5 min. epoxy and just mix a little paint in with it when I mix it up. Apply it with a small paint brush. Mix small amounts because it dries fairly quickly. Tough man..... Tough.

Crankbaitmaker