Hand Tying Jigs

Can't find what you're looking for in a catalog or in the store shelves? Ever think about just making it yourself? Come share your inspirations and creations with fellow tinkerers in TackleTour's Garage Baits forum!
JDietsch
Angler
Angler

Hand Tying Jigs

Post by JDietsch » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:08 pm

I just got a vise and started tying a few jigs but I'd like to get better at it. Does anyone have any advice? There are a lot of fly tying videos out there but I haven't seen much at all on hand tying bass jigs. Is there a better way to tie a jig with a skirt and rubber collar already on and cutting it off or is there a trick to tying with just the sections of rubber skirt? Are there any really good knots that y'all would recommend? Thanks
"Take the road less traveled."

fishinjim
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Hand Tying Jigs

Post by fishinjim » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:41 am

This video may help if you haven't seen it yet...
http://www.bassedge.com/media/show/Jare ... custom+jig

I hand tie a little bit and will often put the skirt on the jig with a collar before tying. Usually wrap with whatever braid I have laying around.
After wrapping, I just use a couple overhand knots and snip the collar off with a small sharp knife. Then I add a couple drops of superglue on the knot.
Not the cleanest wrap out there, but it does the job.

NJ Jigman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NJ Jigman » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:10 pm

the cool thing about tying your own jigs is creating colors that you can't exactly find on store bought jigs. If you have skirt colors you like then wrapping them like mentioned works well. the way i tie a jig------------
1. head in vise
2. wrap thread 6-8 times around head, as high as you can, pull tag end down, wrap 3 times, tag end up three mor times. drop of glue to hold thread from slipping
3. add silicone to top of jig, wrap tread around head and silicone 3 times or so, I usually use 15-20 strands on the top.
3. turn head in vise so 1 side of jig is facing up. add silicone wrap 3 times. i use 15 strands on sides
4. turn so other side is up and repeat
5. bottom up, repeat
6. wrap thread over finished jig 5-10 wraps and whip finish, look up directions on i-net.
7. drop of glue over final knot

The key is wrap as tight as you can, thats how you get the flair that you can't get with collared jigs. if the tread your using breaks when crankin down, you need stronger thread
you can use any kind of material you want, silicone, hair, rubber, maribou flash.
hope this helps, sorry its all long as your favorite book, The Hunger Games :lol:

damian_megabass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by damian_megabass » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:32 am

I use lead free wires, faster and easier to "tie" your own jigs.
I will NEVER sell another 3:16 swimbait again!

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:18 am

For a fresh jig or an existing jig that I want to hand tie, I simply start with a rubber collar around the skirt....then double wrap/tie 22 guage copper wire ABOVE the collar...tighten, cut tags, then take the rubber collar off with needle nose or exacto...Maybe not the quickest, easiest way, but it works and I don't tie a ton...

bumpnjerk
Angler
Angler

Post by bumpnjerk » Thu May 03, 2012 7:07 pm

Thanks Jim for that video link. that is very usefull.