Pouring bismuth jigs

Can't find what you're looking for in a catalog or in the store shelves? Ever think about just making it yourself? Come share your inspirations and creations with fellow tinkerers in TackleTour's Garage Baits forum!
cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Pouring bismuth jigs

Post by cjtoad » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:03 pm

Are any of you guys pouring your own bismuth jigs. Mass. has a new lead ban this year and I'd like to try pouring bismuth ones, any help would be greatly apprecaited.

BB144
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Pouring bismuth jigs

Post by BB144 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:21 am

I've never tried it, but I think it could be done with the same equipment.

The melting point of Bismuth is quite a bit less than that of lead, so a regular lead pot will work fine. The densities of the two metal are fairly similar and you'd be looking at approximately .05-.06 oz per cm^3 different, with lead being heavier. So aside from the jigs weighing slightly less, I don't see there being issues.

Oh, and bismuth is 4-5 times the price of lead.
cabinfeverlures.webs.com
fb.com/CabinFeverLures

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by cjtoad » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:12 am

$29 a lbs seems to be the going rate for bismuth and I've never had to pay for lead before, but I've got no choice I'll have to give it a try. Hopeful the equipment I've got on hand works.

BB144
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BB144 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:15 pm

Wow, I didn't realize it was nearly 10x the price of lead, depending on where you get it. Keep us updated, I'm interested to hear how this comes out. If it's fairly simple, it would be a practical (as opposed to Tungsten and it's melting point of around 6000 degrees) and environmentally friendly for those who make their own weights/jigs.
cabinfeverlures.webs.com
fb.com/CabinFeverLures