Air brush Clear Coat for Reels?

Can't find what you're looking for in a catalog or in the store shelves? Ever think about just making it yourself? Come share your inspirations and creations with fellow tinkerers in TackleTour's Garage Baits forum!
mike_honcho
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Air brush Clear Coat for Reels?

Post by mike_honcho » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:58 am

I don't know if this is the correct board to post but it seems like I might get a better answer here for those that paint there own baits. Any way so I was looking at getting an airbrush to paint my reels and probably my buddies, well I am thinking about using createx auto air paints because they are water based. The problem is that they say to clear coat with a urethane clear for more abrasion resistance. So from my research I have read many people say that using urethane based paints or clears is very dangerous. Can someone that uses these type of products tell me why and if there is a safe alternative. What I have read is the fumes are dangerous as well as contact with the skin. I would be doing this in my garage, ofcourse with a paint respirator, garage open, my window open, and a fan to dissipate the fumes. If this helps my garage size is about 40 ft x 20 ft. Also, my major concern is I live in a townhouse so my living area above my garage and I would not want to do anything to endanger my little girl especially,wife, or surrounding neighbors. I was going to use House of Kolor urethane or polyurethane clear. I guess my decision on whether to start these projects really depends on its safety to my family. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

mike_honcho
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Air brush Clear Coat for Reels?

Post by mike_honcho » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:12 am

Bump

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Air brush Clear Coat for Reels?

Post by facelessnewsouth » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:48 am

Most of the danger from urethanes and polyurethanes comes from using them in an unventilated area and unintentionall and or intentionally inhaling the fumes. The area above the area you are painting in should be fine, I've never heard of the fumes traveling through sheetrock and insulation when used in a conventional fashion. The only other danger would be flammability. DON'T TRY TO TURN YOUR AIRBRUSH INTO A FLAME THROWER. It's not as cool as it sounds, trust me.

In summary, yes the fumes are harmful, but they have to be concentrated. If your work area is well ventilated and you arent standing over the paint can huffing fumes, you and your family should be fine. They do make acrylic clears, that is clears that are water based, but they usually arent as lustrous and shiny as the urethane or laquer based clears, from what I've experienced. They also don't hold up as well.

Hope this helps.