Was gifted rod blank.... Help!

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Congoman775
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Was gifted rod blank.... Help!

Post by Congoman775 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:33 pm

I was just gifted a 4SW70MLM rod blank, the one formerly used in the St Croix LGCC70MLM series. I'd like to build a spinning rod to throw lightweight plastics inshore, something like a DOA shrimp... and really not sure where to start. It's a really nice blank and I've never built anything before, but I'd like guides and components to do the rod justice and keep it as light and sensitive as possible. Not really price-sensitive regarding components. What would you recommend/is there a specific guide size and spacing I should adhere to? I also heard the guides might be dependent upon the reel I pick....?

Thanks for any guidance. Looking forward to a fun project.

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Was gifted rod blank.... Help!

Post by HellaBread » Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:52 am

Congoman775 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:33 pm
I was just gifted a 4SW70MLM rod blank, the one formerly used in the St Croix LGCC70MLM series. I'd like to build a spinning rod to throw lightweight plastics inshore, something like a DOA shrimp... and really not sure where to start. It's a really nice blank and I've never built anything before, but I'd like guides and components to do the rod justice and keep it as light and sensitive as possible. Not really price-sensitive regarding components. What would you recommend/is there a specific guide size and spacing I should adhere to? I also heard the guides might be dependent upon the reel I pick....?

Thanks for any guidance. Looking forward to a fun project.
For guides if money is no option titanium torzites are always my preference (i’m still mad at you fuji for axing my titanium alconites).

As for guide sizes and spacing there’s no simple formula.

Sizes will be determined by a mix of personal preference, line type and size you plan on using, reel height, etc.

Guide spacing for the most part is gonna be determined by the blank itself. Static load testing to see and adjust where guide placement needs to be, and/or if you’re adhering to any guide train layout system (ie: kr concept, ngc, etc)

IMO no layout system is objectively superior over the other it’s mostly preference pick whatever you think you’ll like the best. What I did when I first started building was use a rod I own that i particularly liked a lot as a template/reference to base the build off of.

Congoman775
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Congoman775 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:23 pm

Thanks.... So assuming I've got the guides layed out, and I go to do a test (which i assume is just running line through the guides and bending the rod to look for areas of inconsistency?), how do I hold the guides in place? Tape? Would the tension on the line not move the guides? Thanks

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:27 pm

Congoman775 wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:23 pm
Thanks.... So assuming I've got the guides layed out, and I go to do a test (which i assume is just running line through the guides and bending the rod to look for areas of inconsistency?), how do I hold the guides in place? Tape? Would the tension on the line not move the guides? Thanks
I use o rings or surgical tubing i cut into bands, allows for easy adjustment during static testing

Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by 108642 » Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:12 am