Question about imperfections on x-ray blank

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Question about imperfections on x-ray blank

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sat May 02, 2020 11:27 pm

I recently ordered a couple rods built on NFC X-ray blanks and they showed up with some imperfections. I don't really care if it's just cosmetic just won't order on those blanks again. Mostly curious if this is normal or not with NFC blanks.

setsail26
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Question about imperfections on x-ray blank

Post by setsail26 » Sun May 03, 2020 9:51 am

Yes, this is normal, at least in my experience. I've built on 5 xray blanks and all had the sort of imperfections you point out. So far I don't think the imperfections affect performance, but of course it is hard to know for sure. I've built on a lot of other brands of blanks and the vast majority have looked perfect. I'm thinking this is the price we pay when we get $200 blanks for $80-100.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sun May 03, 2020 10:51 am

setsail26 wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 9:51 am
Yes, this is normal, at least in my experience. I've built on 5 xray blanks and all had the sort of imperfections you point out. So far I don't think the imperfections affect performance, but of course it is hard to know for sure. I've built on a lot of other brands of blanks and the vast majority have looked perfect. I'm thinking this is the price we pay when we get $200 blanks for $80-100.
Thanks. After searching some more I think you are right. Do companies like kistler pay more money for better quality x ray blanks and the lower quality blanks get sold cheap?

I guess next time I'll have someone build on a point blank blank.

MikeK
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MikeK » Sun May 03, 2020 2:45 pm

Not sure if he's aware of this forum, but Aleks Maslov is running NFC and seems pretty responsive to posts on a couple of other forums. Email him the pics. I'm interested to know the answer having not tried the x-ray blanks yet.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun May 03, 2020 3:04 pm

Shouldn't be. I find that guide wrap and cut outs in the blank under the reel seat unacceptable. The lines and swirls on the blank are normal though. It's your money Chris, but if you're not happy with the results, don't let it slide. Especially at the cost of these builds. The crap part is that it's NFC, and unfortunately, their customer service is awful. Did they build these, or did you have someone else build them for you?

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sun May 03, 2020 3:18 pm

MikeK wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 2:45 pm
Not sure if he's aware of this forum, but Aleks Maslov is running NFC and seems pretty responsive to posts on a couple of other forums. Email him the pics. I'm interested to know the answer having not tried the x-ray blanks yet.
I'll look for his email address

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sun May 03, 2020 3:26 pm

I’m not an expert on this topic, so just a guess: it looks like a lot of these imperfections are the result of not sanding down the blank as much as many companies do. Is that something that NFC does or is expecting each rod builder to do? I have a couple of rods that make unsanded blanks part of their aesthetic, but it’s weird to see it under the reel seat where the finger touches the blank...

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sun May 03, 2020 3:29 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 3:04 pm
Shouldn't be. I find that guide wrap and cut outs in the blank under the reel seat unacceptable. The lines and swirls on the blank are normal though. It's your money Chris, but if you're not happy with the results, don't let it slide. Especially at the cost of these builds. The crap part is that it's NFC, and unfortunately, their customer service is awful. Did they build these, or did you have someone else build them for you?
Well if you are talking about the first and fourth picture of the guide wrap, the wrap doesn't look bad really but those dark raised rings on the blank above the wrap also run down at an angle under the guide wrap. Similar to the lines you see below the wrap (runs at an angle and then around) but the lines below are bit raised. The swirls don't really bother me but just took pictures of everything I noticed. The gauge under the reel seat looks like it was caused by the reel seat somehow.

Someone else built them for me (ordered through a website after talking to the owner).

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Sun May 03, 2020 11:30 pm

It's normal. Almost every x-ray blank has some of those cosmetic errors. Does not affect performance.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Mon May 04, 2020 12:26 am

MardukFIN wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 11:30 pm
It's normal. Almost every x-ray blank has some of those cosmetic errors. Does not affect performance.
Cool. These weren't expensive (in my opinion), just wanted to try the blanks out. Only really care about performance. I was curious if it's normal because I've been considering a kistler z-bone on the same blank.
Last edited by chrisg_sdcf on Mon May 04, 2020 2:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Mon May 04, 2020 12:27 am

MikeK wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 2:45 pm
Emailed him. Only response I got was asking for the company that built the rods so no real explanation yet.

shfishinsticks
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by shfishinsticks » Fri May 15, 2020 11:38 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 3:04 pm
I find that guide wrap and cut outs in the blank under the reel seat unacceptable.
I normally don't critique someone's work, but if there's a custom builder selling a football epoxy job like that, they should be ashamed of themselves