Blank for small jerkbaits?

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Blank for small jerkbaits?

Post by ogrich31 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:21 am

Looking for blank recommendations for 3.5-6g (1/8 - 3/16oz) jerkbaits for trout. It'll be a spinning setup with 3-4lb mono or fluoro. 7'-7'6" Fast. I'll most likely lean toward higher end blanks.

So far, I'm looking at Phenix K2 TX-712L-S-B. If anyone has any input on this blank or would recommend another blank, that would be great.

Thank you

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Blank for small jerkbaits?

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:29 pm

Sorta outside the box, and for pretty much anything else, I wouldn't recommend MHX.... But, I've found that the high mod popping blanks are great for jerkbaits. I haven't found a blank I like better.
I have the old version, but I believe the new version is in the Elite-X series. NP-842 to be exact for your needs. It's one of the very few blanks I've discovered that I wouldn't call too fast or slow for jerkbaits - you know that never ending debate. Spot on for me, with a progressive, but not over progressive bend, to keep fish pinned on trebles.

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ogrich31 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:32 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:29 pm
Sorta outside the box, and for pretty much anything else, I wouldn't recommend MHX.... But, I've found that the high mod popping blanks are great for jerkbaits. I haven't found a blank I like better.
I have the old version, but I believe the new version is in the Elite-X series. NP-842 to be exact for your needs. It's one of the very few blanks I've discovered that I wouldn't call too fast or slow for jerkbaits - you know that never ending debate. Spot on for me, with a progressive, but not over progressive bend, to keep fish pinned on trebles.
What's the lightest and heaviest jerkbaits you'd throw on the blank? This rod will probably never see anything even in the 3/8oz range, which is the the top end lure weight of the NP842.

Also, do you think this rod will be enough to protect 4lb test?

Thanks a lot, I'm really considering this blank, but I'm still comparing other blanks at the moment.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:27 pm

ogrich31 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:32 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:29 pm
What's the lightest and heaviest jerkbaits you'd throw on the blank? This rod will probably never see anything even in the 3/8oz range, which is the the top end lure weight of the NP842.

Also, do you think this rod will be enough to protect 4lb test?

Thanks a lot, I'm really considering this blank, but I'm still comparing other blanks at the moment.
1/8 to a quarter. Shouldn't be a problem, especially with a spinning reel. The K2 is a superior blank, and will also work well for your intended purposes. My train of thought - I don't need that type of excellence for what you're throwing, so I'm going to save some coin. For all intensive purposes, the K2 will indeed be more versatile, should you decide you need it. I wouldn't use the mhx for much else, including finesse top water baits. I don't think PB has a blank that will work. Maybe in the lightest 6'6 model, but I haven't used that blank. Keep in mind that I have the original high mod model. I don't know if the new model has changed.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:28 pm

Let me rephrase that. I'd use the blank for finesse top water. Sorry for the confusion.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:46 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:27 pm

I don't think PB has a blank that will work. Maybe in the lightest 6'6 model, but I haven't used that blank.
I have it and wouldn't recommend it for this application. Great blank. Just not what I'd use here.

I go to the old Loomis blanks HS9000 and P8400. North Fork makes some very comparable models. Or did at one time. Been a while since I looked for something in this class. I want to say the SSP. 767? That's their HS9000 clone.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods