K2 Blank Sensitivity Compared To NRX, Conquest, Poison Adrena Level Rods

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: K2 Blank Sensitivity Compared To NRX, Conquest, Poison Adrena Level Rods

Post by Bronzeye » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:28 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:17 pm
"The powers also run upwards to a full half power less...."
I absolutely probably won't fully half-understand this yesterday.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:20 pm

Bronzeye wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:28 am
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:17 pm
"The powers also run upwards to a full half power less...."
I absolutely probably won't fully half-understand this yesterday.
Literally haven't a clue what you're talking about, but the blanks are typically a half power less than your typical blank with the same ratings.

_diggy_
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by _diggy_ » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:55 pm

jlang95 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:59 pm
Well I just glanced at North Forks website and they were having a sale of $150 off per blank. So I picked up an HM and an Xray both for $250. So I'll be adding those to the build list lol.
I ordered mine on Sunday the 2nd (x-ray) and just got a tracking number. Much faster than anticipated, it's heading straight to my builder.

I bought a Z-Bone from the classifieds to hold me over thinking it was going to take a while to ship.

jlang95
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jlang95 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:20 pm

_diggy_ wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:55 pm
jlang95 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:59 pm
Well I just glanced at North Forks website and they were having a sale of $150 off per blank. So I picked up an HM and an Xray both for $250. So I'll be adding those to the build list lol.
I ordered mine on Sunday the 2nd (x-ray) and just got a tracking number. Much faster than anticipated, it's heading straight to my builder.

I bought a Z-Bone from the classifieds to hold me over thinking it was going to take a while to ship.
Yeah I just got a tracking number for both of mine as well.

Reverendo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Reverendo » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:10 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:01 am
I really wish I had the same experiences as everyone else since I loved my K2’s. Unfortunately all they did was break. Even had the replacements break. All breaks occurred while casting well within lure weight range within the first couple trips. Phenix customer service was terrible as well and took several months each time I needed a replacement. After a few rounds of this, I gave up. Point Blank is just as good in my hands and doesn’t break. I say this to make you aware of the what can happen, it’s all over the internet if you search.
I really like the K2, but the mixed reviews scared me. I did order a Point Bank and am building it now...

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:31 am

Just out of curiosity, how many of these breakage reports are recent? Everything I've come across is from some time ago. Just as it was with the Recon, which Phenix addressed years ago.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:34 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:31 am
Just out of curiosity, how many of these breakage reports are recent? Everything I've come across is from some time ago. Just as it was with the Recon, which Phenix addressed years ago.
It would be nice to know more about each production run. I was suggesting on a thread on here a while ago that the blank manufacturers have something engraved or securely attached to the blank. This would really help consumers stay away from inconsistent production runs, and prevent mix ups. I would imagine that it was an early production run that had the issues. I wonder how many production runs have been done with the K2?
For what it's worth, I really wrenched on my 715 early on to see how durable it was. I don't remember catching anything over 7 on it, but no issues skiing fish in on heavy fluoro.

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ogrich31 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:51 am

It was only early production K2's that had the breakage issues. I've broken quite a few myself as well. I heard from a credible source that Phenix has fixed the issues (not really sure it it was a bad batch or what). For what's it's worth, I haven't broken one in years.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:04 am

My blanks were purchased in 2017, and replaced into 2019. 4 different models, all broke within the first 3 trips. After rebuilding rods a couple times only to have them break again, I gave up. If you want any info on how the rods broke, send me a PM.

Todd, Loomis does exactly that, small coded stickers near the foregrip. Would think most companies would do this, but no idea.

jlang95
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jlang95 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:32 am

Got the North Fork blanks in 8 days. They feel awesome just running them along my rug and then my hardwood especially the Xray blank. Excited to get them built and then my PB will be here tomorrow.

rh_916
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rh_916 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:46 am

jlang95 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:32 am
Got the North Fork blanks in 8 days. They feel awesome just running them along my rug and then my hardwood especially the Xray blank. Excited to get them built and then my PB will be here tomorrow.
How crooked is your x ray blank? The last 2 x ray blanks that I got was pretty crooked compared to the first ones that I bought when they first came out.

jlang95
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jlang95 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:56 am

rh_916 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:46 am
jlang95 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:32 am
How crooked is your x ray blank? The last 2 x ray blanks that I got was pretty crooked compared to the first ones that I bought when they first came out.
Mine curves a little at the tip. I'll just build it with the curve pointing up but it's no worse than any of the other blanks I've seen. The measurements NF has listed on the site for the MB736 Xray are definitely wrong. They have the butt listed as .49 and the butt of the other blank I got is supposed to be .56 and the Xray is bigger than that one. But after doing so research that's a pretty common thing with this blank so I'll just assume it's a typo.

setsail26
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by setsail26 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:10 pm

The xray blanks I got this winter (721, 733, 736 MB and SJ) are much more crooked than blanks from Rod Geeks, Batson, and Hydra that I have recently built on. The xray blanks also have many palpable imperfections. Maybe that is par for the course for unsanded blanks, but no way is Kistler selling crooked blanks with multiple imperfections on rods costing over $500. The condition of the blanks and always on sale price leads me to believe we are getting seconds or thirds for most of our blanks. Other companies would throw them out, but NFC can't do that if they want to sell super high modulus blanks for $100.

jlang95
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jlang95 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:11 pm

setsail26 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:10 pm
The xray blanks I got this winter (721, 733, 736 MB and SJ) are much more crooked than blanks from Rod Geeks, Batson, and Hydra that I have recently built on. The xray blanks also have many palpable imperfections. Maybe that is par for the course for unsanded blanks, but no way is Kistler selling crooked blanks with multiple imperfections on rods costing over $500. The condition of the blanks and always on sale price leads me to believe we are getting seconds or thirds for most of our blanks. Other companies would throw them out, but NFC can't do that if they want to sell super high modulus blanks for $100.
Mine is the same condition as the Point Blank I just got and the three Batsons I've built, but keep in mind I dont have as much experience as most of you guys. The way I see it is I only build rods for me so as long as the blank functions and isnt unusable I can feel with it being a little crooked.

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:06 pm

my k2 715 is my favorite rod. super for jigs, senkos, and t-rigs. i also use it for my 110's.

i also have a 764 and a 765. i like those also but not as much as my 714. that rod just seems crisper.