BFS blank suggestions

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
NorCoMike
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

BFS blank suggestions

Post by NorCoMike » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:13 pm

Good afternoon,

I finally pulled the trigger on a BFS reel. So while I wait for it to get here I need to build a rod. Im wanting something that can throw 1/16th to 1/8th oz jerkbaits and crankbaits mainly. I have one suggestion for the phenix mirage so far. I have been looking at the MHX 7'3" UL mod action. What other blanks would you recommend?

Also what does everyone use for a guide train for BFS rods? I have only built one casting rod before and it was for a spincast reel most of my building has been spinning rods.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: BFS blank suggestions

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:00 pm

If you want a shorter blank, I'd highly recommend the Point Blank 661lf. Doesn't get much better than that. If you want a longer, less expensive blank, I'd recommend the Phenix Feather 7'1" light. You would need to order this blank direct from Phenix.
My personal preference on guides for this type of blank - Fuji, your choice of material. I'd use one doubt foot stripper guide only, size 5.5. The rest would be size 4.5 belly / running guides up to the tip top. If you plan to use a leader often, I'd bump them up to a size 5. How much do you want to spend on the blank and guide train?

NorCoMike
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NorCoMike » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:15 pm

Longer is better as I will mainly be fishing lakes and ponds for trout and panfish with the occasional outing to medium sized rivers. 250 for blank and guides would be a good budget. I have only built one casting rod before and it was for a spincaster but I did do a spiral and like the way that rod fishes just a little to soft for what I want to cast with this setup. I will look into the point blank as well!

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:24 pm

I also own the NFC X Ray SJ732. It would also work. I haven't even had a chance to fish it yet :doh:. You would need to catch one of the 50% off sales without going over your budget. Unfortunately, Point Blank doesn't make any finesse type blanks in longer lengths.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:44 am

I have a custom built on the Batson Immortal blank, 7' popping action, ultralight moderate. I throw as low as 2 gram cranks with it. The SS Air makes easy work of very light cranks. My guide train consists of spiral-wrapped Fuji Ti/SiC micros, since I use 8# Sufix Nanobraid exclusively on it. First guide is a reverse KR stipper guide, then a #5, a #4.5 and the remainder are #4, with a #4.5 tip. I had mine built on a Matagi tube handle, so it could have went out in length had I chosen to do so. It's a strong blank, too, as this 6-13 bass put it to the test.

Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

NorCoMike
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NorCoMike » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:13 am

Man if that immortal blank came in a two piece that would be perfect! Kinda limited to a two piece for storage and transport reasons. Any one tried the batson revelation 7'2" UL fast blank?

rh_916
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rh_916 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:31 am

Phenix elixir blanks

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:50 am

NorCoMike wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:13 am
Man if that immortal blank came in a two piece that would be perfect! Kinda limited to a two piece for storage and transport reasons. Any one tried the batson revelation 7'2" UL fast blank?
Pic of the rod itself. Btw, I caught the fish in that pic and several other small ones on the Saturday after Christmas.
We have been warmer than average lately.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

NorCoMike
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NorCoMike » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:41 am

Looks like a great combo! our weather has been strange here to most lakes have skim ice but no where to get out and throw a few.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:12 pm

Immortal popping blanks are great. I didn't realize you were after 2 piece. Rainshadow makes some 2 piece blanks in their Revelation line. Never used one before though. I'd probably stick with Phenix for a 2 piece.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:37 pm

I'm with Mark. Stick with Phenix for the 2 pc blanks. Just fyi, the Elixir blanks are very soft, not like a BFS blank at all.

NorCoMike
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NorCoMike » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:48 am

Ok guys I have narrowed it down to three choices. Does anyone have any input on these blanks.

Revelation REVS72UL-2SB 7'2" 1/32-3/16 Fast
MHX S871-2MHX 7'3" 1/32-3/16 mod
Phenix FX701-2-B 7'0" 1/32-1/4 Fast

So for throwing rapala ultralight series baits and other 1/16th oz cranks and jerks what would you pick? What action do you prefer for those baits?

Thanks for all of the help so far!