rewrapping older rods with smaller/lighter guides?

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

rewrapping older rods with smaller/lighter guides?

Post by Jason Penn » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:22 pm

how much would rewrapping an older rod with smaller lighter guides affect taper & possibly sensitivity? i have a few daiwa rods that i love the seats on, but i can barely get a rod sock over the guides!! i don't really want to affect the taper of the rod much though

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: rewrapping older rods with smaller/lighter guides?

Post by Mattman » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:54 pm

I've turned some mediocre factory rods into some really nice sticks by doing that. It'll even improve a good factory rod.

Some of my very first rod building was reguiding and/or completely rebuilding my Berkley Series One rods. They really turned into nice sticks.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:39 pm

Costs me about $20, but then again I'm a wholesale buyer so I don't know what retail cost would be, maybe double or so?

I do this all the time... but be aware if you go with micro guides you won't be able to use some of those tube socks because the micro guides will poke right through the holes and make it even harder to get on or off.

So I went to ebay and ordered up some of those cotton socks like Falcon makes and use those on my mircro guide rods.

I do rod and reel repair, so when I get an old baitcast rod with a couple of broken guides on it, quite often I'll strip it all down and put micro guides done in a spiral wrap. Works like a charm and can give an old rod new life by giving it a new balance.
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

romans
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by romans » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:25 pm

I have had some of the older g.loomis rods re wrapped with smaller guides and was thrilled with the results. I never realized the effect a heavier guide has on a blank compared to a lighter guide. I went with semi micro guides and in some cases went with "lesser" grade guides and would do it all the same again tomorrow if needed. I believe, all the double foots were replaced with double foot and the same with singles. I didn't notice much if any difference in the taper but I definitely think it improved sensitivity on all the rods. With the lesser weight the tip is more "lively" or maybe more "crisp" is a better word? I had this done to a MBR 842 GLX, MBR782 GLX, and MBR 782 IMX and alconite guides were used on all of them. Good Luck!

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:49 am

thanks for all the replies. i am worried about changing 1 of the rods. it's a 6'9 daiwa ballistic rod that was supposed to be a mh worm/jig rod, but it's way too underpowered and has too much bend. it's more like a m+ power and actually bends deeper in the blank than most of the crankbait rods i have. it still has a fast tip, it makes a killer 1/2oz spinnerbait rod.

the other rod is an old green handle tds 7'mh worm rod. i actually wouldn't mind if it actually got a tad faster and if sensitivity is increased, that's even better!! i really hope daiwa doesn't abandon their reels seats, but it seems like that's been the trend for them the past couple of years.

MikeK
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MikeK » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:15 pm

You won't change the action of the rod, but with smaller lighter guides it may feel a little stiffer when you shake it. Don't just put new guides where the old ones were, figure out the best sizes and positions with a static deflection test.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:51 pm

romans wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:25 pm
I have had some of the older g.loomis rods re wrapped with smaller guides and was thrilled with the results. I never realized the effect a heavier guide has on a blank compared to a lighter guide. I went with semi micro guides and in some cases went with "lesser" grade guides and would do it all the same again tomorrow if needed. I believe, all the double foots were replaced with double foot and the same with singles. I didn't notice much if any difference in the taper but I definitely think it improved sensitivity on all the rods. With the lesser weight the tip is more "lively" or maybe more "crisp" is a better word? I had this done to a MBR 842 GLX, MBR782 GLX, and MBR 782 IMX and alconite guides were used on all of them. Good Luck!
Will a braid to leader knot go through those semi micro guides?