Mag-Light 2 piece blank...?

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Mag-Light 2 piece blank...?

Post by adam lancia » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:45 am

On the off chance I decide to have a custom rod meds for my Alphas CT SV, I'd like to use a 2piece blank, preferably something with a light tip to throw 1/8 oz total weight lures, but also able to throw 1/4 oz and fight 3-4 pound trout without feeling overloaded. Any suggestions? Rod length around 6'9". Thanks in advance!

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Mag-Light 2 piece blank...?

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:15 am

I have a custom built on the MHX HM 702-2 spinning blank, butt-cut down to 6'8". I keep it in the truck with a PX-R + 15# braid. I have thrown from 1/8 oz spinnerbaits and squarebills, all the way up to 3/8 oz spinnerbaits, plus 1/4 oz bullet and Zoom U-tail worms. While the big spinnerbait made it feel just a little overloaded, it still performed flawlessly. I bought it from Hogsticker, and Im very glad he decided to sell it.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:14 am

That gives me a really good starting point, thanks!

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:38 am

adam lancia wrote:That gives me a really good starting point, thanks!
No problem, its an inexpensive blank, but performs better than expected in all respects. I wish they hadn't changed the HM blanks. ](*,)
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:49 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
No problem, its an inexpensive blank, but performs better than expected in all respects. I wish they hadn't changed the HM blanks. ](*,)
Is this the one you mean: https://www.mudhole.com/MHX-SJ842-2-MHX ... -Rod-Blank

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:21 am

adam lancia wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Is this the one you mean: https://www.mudhole.com/MHX-SJ842-2-MHX ... -Rod-Blank
Thats the one, but like I said, they changed their HM blanks. From what I've gathered talking to builders and users of these new blanks, they arent quite as good as before.