Replacing a reel seat

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Replacing a reel seat

Post by Markanthony404 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:06 am

I am interested in replacing the handle on my Cumara spinning rod. It has the skeleton reel seat which I hate. I understand when they make rods the reel seat is put on from the tip. Will it be possible to put a reel seat on from the bottom without damaging the rod? I have no interest in replacing the guides!
Attachments
Hpqamek.jpg
Hpqamek.jpg (48.08 KiB) Viewed 11124 times

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Replacing a reel seat

Post by adam lancia » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:32 am

Functionally you can, but going from the butt end of the rod poses some challenges as I understand it. Your best bet is to post this in the custom rods section of the forum. One of the hurdles I can see is that you'll need to fit the seat over the butt which is larger than where the seat will end up so you'll have to fill in that space between the seat and blank. That might be an oversimplification on my part, I'm still learning this stuff...

MikeK
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MikeK » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:21 pm

A spinning reel seat that is designed for arbors (Fuji DPSM, American Aero, etc.) can easily be installed from the butt using tape arbors. Polyurethane arbors could also be used but they need to be split and glued as two pieces, so if any of the 2-piece or split reel seats use those you could make it work.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:45 am

As long as the butt diameter is small enough that the seat can go on from the rear, yes you can do that. Your desired seat has to have an ID large enough to get past the butt.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:28 pm

Thanks guys! I did some research and I contacted mudhole for some advice. I got the handle off and am now deciding on a reel seat. If anyone has a suggestion please feel free to reply.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:41 pm

Markanthony404 wrote:Thanks guys! I did some research and I contacted mudhole for some advice. I got the handle off and am now deciding on a reel seat. If anyone has a suggestion please feel free to reply.
The Fuji VSS seat is a very comfortable seat, especially if you trim the threads to where there are none exposed with a reel seated. There is also a pre-fab full-length EVA grip that you can ream slightly smaller than the butt diameter and it will stretch, then will still fit tightly when it is set in position. Just keep a lint-free cloth soaked with 91% isopropyl alcohol to clean up any excess epoxy.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:55 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Markanthony404 wrote:Thanks guys! I did some research and I contacted mudhole for some advice. I got the handle off and am now deciding on a reel seat. If anyone has a suggestion please feel free to reply.
The Fuji VSS seat is a very comfortable seat, especially if you trim the threads to where there are none exposed with a reel seated. There is also a pre-fab full-length EVA grip that you can ream slightly smaller than the butt diameter and it will stretch, then will still fit tightly when it is set in position. Just keep a lint-free cloth soaked with 91% isopropyl alcohol to clean up any excess epoxy.
Can you use masking tape to increase the diameter of the rod butt, like we do when we install golf club grips, for a more snug fit?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:15 am

I would use the fiberglass mesh self-adhesive drywall tape. It works excellent, holds itself in place better and is porous. The epoxy gets all around it and still leaves plenty of blank surface area to bond to, as well. Not to mention, its not adversely affected by water like masking tape is.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:26 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:I would use the fiberglass mesh self-adhesive drywall tape. It works excellent, holds itself in place better and is porous. The epoxy gets all around it and still leaves plenty of blank surface area to bond to, as well. Not to mention, its not adversely affected by water like masking tape is.
X2!!!!!
Matt Davis

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:59 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:I would use the fiberglass mesh self-adhesive drywall tape. It works excellent, holds itself in place better and is porous. The epoxy gets all around it and still leaves plenty of blank surface area to bond to, as well. Not to mention, its not adversely affected by water like masking tape is.
Thanks.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:28 pm

Mattman wrote:
X2!!!!!
Do you wrap to size then wet it with epoxy instead of water?
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Mattman » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:39 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Mattman wrote:
X2!!!!!
Do you wrap to size then wet it with epoxy instead of water?
I wrap the mesh tape around dry to create an arbor and get the size right. Then I unwind the tape and tack the first wrap down with some quick set epoxy. Then I butter up the tape with my regular paste epoxy and wrap it. That gets the epoxy squished into all the mesh grids.
Matt Davis

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:12 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote: The Fuji VSS seat is a very comfortable seat, especially if you trim the threads to where there are none exposed with a reel seated. There is also a pre-fab full-length EVA grip that you can ream slightly smaller than the butt diameter and it will stretch, then will still fit tightly when it is set in position. Just keep a lint-free cloth soaked with 91% isopropyl alcohol to clean up any excess epoxy.
I was told the Fuji VSS wont work because it's diameter is too small. The butt on this rod is almost a half of an inch or 12.7 mm. I am going use one of these.

https://www.mudhole.com/CRB-Slim-Profil ... lfujirs=16

https://www.mudhole.com/Fuji-IPS-Seat-12.5GS

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:54 pm

Markanthony404 wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote: The Fuji VSS seat is a very comfortable seat, especially if you trim the threads to where there are none exposed with a reel seated. There is also a pre-fab full-length EVA grip that you can ream slightly smaller than the butt diameter and it will stretch, then will still fit tightly when it is set in position. Just keep a lint-free cloth soaked with 91% isopropyl alcohol to clean up any excess epoxy.
I was told the Fuji VSS wont work because it's diameter is too small. The butt is almost a half of an inch or 12.7 mm. I am going use one of these.

https://www.mudhole.com/CRB-Slim-Profil ... lfujirs=16

https://www.mudhole.com/Fuji-IPS-Seat-12.5GS
The VSS seat is avaliable in 16 & 17 mm. The ID of the VSS 16 is 13mm , The ID of the VSS17 is 16mm. I've used the larger one on a very thick blank before. The IPS seat is another comfortable seat. Btw, the lockdown portion of your old reel seat should work fine on the new seat, whichever you choose.

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:29 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote: The VSS seat is avaliable in 16 & 17 mm. The ID of the VSS 16 is 13mm , The ID of the VSS17 is 16mm. I've used the larger one on a very thick blank before. The IPS seat is another comfortable seat. Btw, the lockdown portion of your old reel seat should work fine on the new seat, whichever you choose.
Thank's, I'll add the VSS to my list. Parts will be ordered next week and I will post a picture when it's done.