What size guides on a swimbait rod?

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Samuel_b
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

What size guides on a swimbait rod?

Post by Samuel_b » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:33 pm

Have had a lot of customs done, but am new to swimbaiting and don't currently have a designated swimbait stick. I'm going to build one on a NFC IM swimbait blank. Do they need larger guides than a typical rod? I was planning on 6's or 7's...but don't really know.
Also for those who have experience with their blanks was wondering if I should go SWB 807 or 808? I'm planning to throw a lot of hard swimbaits around 3-6 oz maybe a few that might go a little over that weight and some 8" Huddlestons...I would like the rod to be on the lighter side of what I need so it can throw smaller baits too like S-waver 168's if needed and I will probably mainly throw 17-20# FC. Will the 807 do this? I saw the lowest recommended line weight on the 808 was 20#. Big Thanks guy!!

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: What size guides on a swimbait rod?

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:29 pm

It depends on if you plan to throw braid-to-flouro/mono leaders at any point. If only using straight 20# flouro or mono(or straight braid), semi-micros in the double-foot # 5 Ti-frame Alconite or SiC would be ideal for running guides(and a #10, #8 and #6 for the first 2 guides up from the reel seat, if you are using a round reel). Big enough for line to flow freely, but still lighter than 6's or 8's. I have a heavy-power salmon/steelhead rod that I caught my PB LMB on, and had it rebuilt with size 4.5 Alconite single-foot micros, with #10, #8 and #6 doubles for the first 3 up from the seat. I use it for treble-hook hard swimbaits up to 3 oz, on either straight 20# mono or straight 65# braid.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:32 pm

Btw, flouro isnt a good idea with swimbaits, as a backlash will almost always result in the line breaking. They call that a "throw-off" or "cast-off"and it hurts to watch a $100+ lure sail out of site, especially if it's not a floater. Ask me how I know.... :doh:
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:58 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:It depends on if you plan to throw braid-to-flouro/mono leaders at any point.
Couldn't agree more. Guide size is very dependent on your line and/or connection knots, leaders, swivels, etc.

Some people tend to believe the bigger the rod, the bigger the guides. That isn't the case. Its about line management. Getting your line to smoothly pass the guides.

I've built on both the 807 and 808. They're actually fairly close in power. The 808 is 17% more powerful. I haven't fished either of them but from what I know of other builds I've done in the same power class as the 808, those guys tend to be throwing some fairly large baits. That's in the realm of "Heavy" Muskie blanks. As a matter of fact, I've only measured 3 blanks heavier in power than the 808.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:24 am

Is rod balance a concern?
Last edited by ShimanoFan on Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

Samuel_b
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Samuel_b » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:57 am

Mattman wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:It depends on if you plan to throw braid-to-flouro/mono leaders at any point.
Couldn't agree more. Guide size is very dependent on your line and/or connection knots, leaders, swivels, etc.

Some people tend to believe the bigger the rod, the bigger the guides. That isn't the case. Its about line management. Getting your line to smoothly pass the guides.

I've built on both the 807 and 808. They're actually fairly close in power. The 808 is 17% more powerful. I haven't fished either of them but from what I know of other builds I've done in the same power class as the 808, those guys tend to be throwing some fairly large baits. That's in the realm of "Heavy" Muskie blanks. As a matter of fact, I've only measured 3 blanks heavier in power than the 808.
I may do leader knots if I'm using braid in a pinch but would be like 40# braid to 20 pound FC or mono. 80% of the time I plan on not using leaders. And most of the baits I've looked at throwing top out at about 5-6 oz max with most being around 3 oz.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:30 am

Samuel_b wrote:
Mattman wrote:

I may do leader knots if I'm using braid in a pinch but would be like 40# braid to 20 pound FC or mono. 80% of the time I plan on not using leaders. And most of the baits I've looked at throwing top out at about 5-6 oz max with most being around 3 oz.
The #5 Ti/SiC doubles would be ok, then, but I would use a size 6 or 8 tip. The tip is where the leader knot will give you the most problems and a larger ring will mitigate this.