Discontinued sale of St Croix blanks

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
bish0p
Angler
Angler

Discontinued sale of St Croix blanks

Post by bish0p » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:15 pm

I read that St Croix will discontinue the sale of SC2, SC3, and SC4 blanks to rod builders. Apparently the USA made SC5 blanks will be available only through Rodgeeks. They will continue to sell finish rods.

There's supposed to be an announcement.

mobass11652
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Discontinued sale of St Croix blanks

Post by mobass11652 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:25 am

It’s not rumor it is fact! I don’t like it but unfortunately it is true.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:15 am

They would sell a lot more blanks if they would get rid of the cheesy paint jobs and make a decent looking blank. ](*,)
They should have been able to figure this out by now!

bish0p
Angler
Angler

Post by bish0p » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:52 pm

I got an email from RodGeeks about the St Croix SC5 blanks. The SC5 blanks are still made in the USA. At least RodGeeks gives you the option to have them painted.

The email had this link.
https://rodgeeks.com/collections/st-croix-scv-blanks

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:01 am

unsure what the problem is?

unfinished croix blanks look "ugly" because of the special tapers and multiple transitions to get the true extra fast actions. Always been that way and there is no way to get around this (except to add a paint to cover it).

Now you can buy any stcroix blank thru rodgeeks and get it in whatever color you want. Pricing for SC5 thru rodgeeks is similar to factory.

SC2-SC4 have always been cheaper thru rodgeeks than "factory" priced stcroix SC1-SC4 and you pick your color.

Despite the change, it appears to be better for us builders? what am i missing?

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:20 am

jimmyb wrote: unfinished croix blanks look "ugly" because of the special tapers and multiple transitions to get the true extra fast actions. Always been that way and there is no way to get around this (except to add a paint to cover it).
St. Croix are not the only true extra fast action blanks available. The extra fast MXH High Modulus blanks don't need to be painted. Therefore, I buy those over the St. Croix.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:19 am

jimmyb wrote:unsure what the problem is?

unfinished croix blanks look "ugly" because of the special tapers and multiple transitions to get the true extra fast actions. Always been that way and there is no way to get around this (except to add a paint to cover it).

Now you can buy any stcroix blank thru rodgeeks and get it in whatever color you want. Pricing for SC5 thru rodgeeks is similar to factory.

SC2-SC4 have always been cheaper thru rodgeeks than "factory" priced stcroix SC1-SC4 and you pick your color.

Despite the change, it appears to be better for us builders? what am i missing?
You're missing the fact that SC2,SC3 & SC4 blanks will no longer be available as bare blanks from any source, not even Rodgeeks.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

dv1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dv1 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:29 pm

Rodgeeks will have the sc2 and sc4 blanks that they have always had.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:54 pm

dv1 wrote:Rodgeeks will have the sc2 and sc4 blanks that they have always had.
Thats not what a St. Croix rep said.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

dv1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dv1 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:39 pm

Based on https://www.rodbuilding.org/read.php?2,485269 I think there will still be sc2 material and sc4 as rodgeeks has always offered. I think the blanks are a little different but same graphite.