Where to purchase JDM blanks?

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Where to purchase JDM blanks?

Post by zodiak311 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:01 am

Do any of you know if there is a place where I can purchase JDM blanks?
I am looking to have a few xfast Ajing rods built for UL fishing.
Thanks!
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Where to purchase JDM blanks?

Post by toddmc » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:51 am

I haven't seen many people talk about rods being built on JDM blanks on TT. I think Matagi has a few. Rodbuilding.org might be a better site to get more opinions on the best places to get the best blanks. The shipping is too expensive for most. There was lots of info on this when I googled "Japanese fishing rod blanks".

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:26 pm

toddmc wrote:I haven't seen many people talk about rods being built on JDM blanks on TT. I think Matagi has a few. Rodbuilding.org might be a better site to get more opinions on the best places to get the best blanks. The shipping is too expensive for most. There was lots of info on this when I googled "Japanese fishing rod blanks".
Thanks for the info!
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

NorCoMike
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NorCoMike » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:32 am

I have built a couple on the matagi t-russel mebaru blanks. When I need matagi parts I talk to Casey at voodoo rods. I should be receiving a couple matagi tr68 super big ponds this week to build some new ultralights!

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:59 am

Proshop K aka tacklejapan is listed as a Designo dealer (some of the best blanks in Japan). They purvey in the custom order of Designo custom rod builds, so I am just imagining they can get and ship the blanks.
Worth emailing them, they communicate pretty well.

spoonplugger1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by spoonplugger1 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:23 pm

The rod blank market is so small and tied to minimum price points by most purchasers the vast majority of companies don't bother. It's more work and stocking costs than it's worth.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:12 pm

rodshop.pl (Poland) carries Matagi blanks. I haven't used any, but I'd like to hear from some folks who have.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:04 am

NorCoMike wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:32 am
I have built a couple on the matagi t-russel mebaru blanks. When I need matagi parts I talk to Casey at voodoo rods. I should be receiving a couple matagi tr68 super big ponds this week to build some new ultralights!
How did the builds go?
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

NorCoMike
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NorCoMike » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:42 am

Builds went well! They are pretty soft but do real well with moving baits but I would look for something stiffer for tossing jigs like I normally do.

bish0p
Angler
Angler

Post by bish0p » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:27 pm

NorCoMike wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:42 am
Builds went well! They are pretty soft but do real well with moving baits but I would look for something stiffer for tossing jigs like I normally do.
Are the T-Russell Super Mebaru or Big Pond blanks soft? I want to build a UL rod. I can't make up my mind between a mebaru (Super Mebaru) or ajing (Super Ajax) blank.

NorCoMike
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NorCoMike » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:05 am

The TR-68 super big ponds I built earlier this year are really soft. I built one of the super mebaru last year and much prefer the action of it especially for tossing light jigs.