Completed my first Point Blank build...

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
MikeK
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Completed my first Point Blank build...

Post by MikeK » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:36 am

The only MHX I can compare through all three versions is the MB752XF, MB752XF-HM and NMB752MF. I use it as a spinning rod throwing unweighted flukes or small shad tails with hooks that have a very light weight on the shank. In order of feeling the bait, structure, and bites, NMB >> HM > Reg. Having said that, I used SS KLH guides on the Reg and HM and titanium KLH on the NMB. The rods are short so balance differences with a reel are insignificant to me.

Getting back to 5bites original assessment of Point Blank, I think they have hit a great combination of light weight and balance.

They are also very durable: I had a PB691MXF standing in a rod holder get hit by a lead head about 6" above the grip when a buddy pulled a snag loose. A piece of the lead was buried in the blank. You could see it, feel it, and see how the blank was raised in the area. I continued to fish the rod to see if it would break and caught several 5+ pound redfish with it on that trip without problems.

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:43 am

The only MHX I can compare through all three versions is the MB752XF, MB752XF-HM and NMB752MF. I use it as a spinning rod throwing unweighted flukes or small shad tails with hooks that have a very light weight on the shank. In order of feeling the bait, structure, and bites, NMB >> HM > Reg. Having said that, I used SS KLH guides on the Reg and HM and titanium KLH on the NMB. The rods are short so balance differences with a reel are insignificant to me.
I've tested (regular) MB843-MHX, HM-MB843-MHX and NMB873-MHX. HM is best imo. NMB is bit longer and MUCH more powerful. Regular multimodus is ok, but other crispier HM's are way more sensitive and lighter.

Never tried any PB (YET!).

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:59 am

MardukFIN wrote:
I've tested (regular) MB843-MHX, HM-MB843-MHX and NMB873-MHX. HM is best imo. NMB is bit longer and MUCH more powerful. Regular multimodus is ok, but other crispier HM's are way more sensitive and lighter.

Never tried any PB (YET!).
Point Blank is a substantial improvement based on the two I have. That’s not much but that plus the feedback from others makes me confident in my conclusion.

Angler JO
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Angler JO » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:33 am

Anglers Resource is giving away a POINT Blank on their Facebook page this week (11/12-16). PB691MXF.
Angler's Resource

Reverendo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Reverendo » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:13 am

I have a Point Blank 731MXF that I'm about to start building. I went with Fuji components (SKTS split reel seat, split handle design, cork rear grip and matching fighting butt, K series guides, etc.) We'll see how it turns out. It'll be paired with a Daiwa Ryoga 1016 (JDM).