NFC pricing

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
mobass11652
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

NFC pricing

Post by mobass11652 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:27 pm

NFC says that the X-Ray are supposed to be so much better than the HM’s. Then how is it that the HM’s are more expensive than the X-Ray? Just kinda doesn’t add up. Yes I have ordered with the sale so I will have in hand comparisons.

bish0p
Angler
Angler

Re: NFC pricing

Post by bish0p » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:34 pm

mobass11652 wrote:NFC says that the X-Ray are supposed to be so much better than the HM’s. Then how is it that the HM’s are more expensive than the X-Ray? Just kinda doesn’t add up. Yes I have ordered with the sale so I will have in hand comparisons.
Good question. The only think I can think of are the XRay blanks are unsanded - they require less labor to make.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:26 pm

bish0p wrote:
mobass11652 wrote:NFC says that the X-Ray are supposed to be so much better than the HM’s. Then how is it that the HM’s are more expensive than the X-Ray? Just kinda doesn’t add up. Yes I have ordered with the sale so I will have in hand comparisons.
Good question. The only think I can think of are the XRay blanks are unsanded - they require less labor to make.
Are they unsanded?

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:43 am

Very slight sanded. There's small ridges on surface. Not so hig that Delta have, but little.

Price of those are now ridiculously low compared how good x-ray is!

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:21 am

Aren't the Deltas IM blanks that haven't been sanded? That's what a rep told my builder.

sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sarcazmo » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:25 am

Hm that is interesting.

When I ordered my xray blanks I called them and they actually picked up! They assured me the new xray blanks were essentially their new flagship blanks... Never really noticed the price difference before. Perhaps it has to do with the model as there are more HM? :doh:

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:22 pm

bish0p wrote:
This is spot on. Same reason why the Delta, which is the an IM blank (unsanded), is less expensive. Less labor. I really hope we see some additional x-ray models. I really want to try one. I love unsanded blanks, and I'm hoping this scrimless option is indeed better than the HM - cause frankly, I haven't been too impressed at the price / performance ratio of the HM blanks. I'd be upset if I didn;t get them at 50% off.

mobass11652
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mobass11652 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:34 pm

I agree on some of the performance, I will say that I absolutely love the hm mb 705 especially compared to my point blank!!

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:44 pm

mobass11652 wrote:I agree on some of the performance, I will say that I absolutely love the hm mb 705 especially compared to my point blank!!
You're literally the only person I've heard say that. I have the HM MB664 and Point Blank 661mxf, both extended 2 inches, and it's not even close when comparing strength, transmitting / resonance and sensitively. I strongly prefer the taper and flex of the PB as well. Both blanks have nearly identical hard specs.

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:10 am

So I come at this having never fished or built on a PB blank. For me likes and dislikes often are the result of there being no "standard" ratings from company to company. If you build on a brand "X' medium fast it is quite likely not the same as brand "Y"'s medium fast. I am most comfortable once I figure out a brand's ratings, so often stick with a brand that I am familiar with. Having said all that I may very well build on a PB blank in the near future. For some one like me who only builds a couple rods a year it is a leap of faith to switch blank brands, more for the above reasons than any perceived or real quality difference.

For right now I am waiting on the NFC blanks that I ordered. Their inability to service customers in a timely manner will/has cost them customers and that will only get worse unless they are able to improve. At the discount pricing I think the blanks are a deal but like everyone else I get frustrated will delivery times.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:35 pm

timinmo wrote:So I come at this having never fished or built on a PB blank. For me likes and dislikes often are the result of there being no "standard" ratings from company to company. If you build on a brand "X' medium fast it is quite likely not the same as brand "Y"'s medium fast. I am most comfortable once I figure out a brand's ratings, so often stick with a brand that I am familiar with. Having said all that I may very well build on a PB blank in the near future. For some one like me who only builds a couple rods a year it is a leap of faith to switch blank brands, more for the above reasons than any perceived or real quality difference.

For right now I am waiting on the NFC blanks that I ordered. Their inability to service customers in a timely manner will/has cost them customers and that will only get worse unless they are able to improve. At the discount pricing I think the blanks are a deal but like everyone else I get frustrated will delivery times.
There is little consistency from manufacturer to manufacturer - you are correct. Ratings mean squat. I won't take a leap of faith, but rather find measurements. If I can't acquire that information, I'm out.
That being said, I've found little consistency with any blanks outside of Point Blank. Even my beloved Phenix blanks. NFC is a mess imo. I can order a MH and it fishes as such, then expect the medium I order to fish as such, and nope. I stopped guessing. Hard numbers or bite me.
Point Blank lists these numbers with all their blanks. It just an extreme bonus that they are the current champions of price to performance blanks on the market. Yeah, that's subjective, but I'm only one of many who feel this way.

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:33 pm

Point Blank lists these numbers with all their blanks.
That's advantage! Definitely. All manufacturer should tell these. You've praised those PB's so much, that i have to try one. :D

mobass11652
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mobass11652 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:45 pm

I took out my pb yesterday. I was so miffed with how it performed I took the reel off and threw it on the deck. I’ll cut this p.o.s in half and use the pieces as tomato stakes!!! Couldn’t cleanly feel pea gravel bottom in14’ with 12lb tatsu and a 3/8 finesse jig with ultravibe trailer. Used the reel and jig I took off and put on an old xmg 50 lmb843 and the difference was huge in the favor of the lamiglass. I have what is supposed to be the pb 731mhf ( long story short it’s NOT!!)

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:31 pm

mobass11652 wrote:I took out my pb yesterday. I was so miffed with how it performed I took the reel off and threw it on the deck. I’ll cut this p.o.s in half and use the pieces as tomato stakes!!! Couldn’t cleanly feel pea gravel bottom in14’ with 12lb tatsu and a 3/8 finesse jig with ultravibe trailer. Used the reel and jig I took off and put on an old xmg 50 lmb843 and the difference was huge in the favor of the lamiglass. I have what is supposed to be the pb 731mhf ( long story short it’s NOT!!)
What are you talking about?

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:56 pm

Well I guess we can all agree to disagree.