NFC pricing

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
mobass11652
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: NFC pricing

Post by mobass11652 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:01 pm

Hog sticker, what I was talking about was my disgust with point blank. Not trying to start anything, it just isn’t he blank for me... I gave it to the kid across the way, he is ecstatic with it, in fact he and his dad are still arguing over it lol. At least it will go to good use, much better than a tomato stake.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:03 pm

mobass11652 wrote:Hog sticker, what I was talking about was my disgust with point blank. Not trying to start anything, it just isn’t he blank for me... I gave it to the kid across the way, he is ecstatic with it, in fact he and his dad are still arguing over it lol. At least it will go to good use, much better than a tomato stake.
Interesting. Maybe you received a bad blank. I feel like I'm down there on the bottom with the bait - rock, grass, sand - as though I'm looking at it with my own eyes. Only other blanks I can do the same with are K2s. My NFC HM feels more like a mushy thud, where as the PB feels more like an electric charge.
"James"

mobass11652
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mobass11652 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:24 pm

I guess that is entirely possible I got a bad one, the butt and tip dimensions were unmatched to anything they had published and the label that came with the blank didn’t match anything published either. I may just have to try another and see how it goes, for me I get that super clean sharply resonated tick or thump from my hm’s and my pointblank is just mush .

Thanks
Tom

spoonplugger1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by spoonplugger1 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:41 pm

The reason the Xrays are cheaper is they are trying to get a good roll out with a minimum of designs in production. If the materials price is similar priced it shouldn't be demonstratively different in price. Delta is not IM unsanded, it isma multi modulus design like many over the last decade or longer with a special high modulus glass. Whether it's laid up linear. or as scrim I'm not sure, all I know is the blanks are very durable and don't appear to have sacrificed any weight disadvantage to speak of on the rods I've been around.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:19 am

spoonplugger1 wrote:The reason the Xrays are cheaper is they are trying to get a good roll out with a minimum of designs in production.
Not to mention their financial difficulties. Dropping all their distributors in favor on one distributor. And then undercutting the distributors by selling direct to the public at wholesale prices.

There are a lot of builders that won't touch them with a ten foot pole right now. Several have waited months to get product. This spring I tried to order a blank that isn't terribly popular and the one distributor told me that I had to order 5 of the same model for them to accept my order. My last two orders, direct to NFC, have gone well. But they were very popular blanks.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:33 pm

spoonplugger1 wrote:The reason the Xrays are cheaper is they are trying to get a good roll out with a minimum of designs in production. If the materials price is similar priced it shouldn't be demonstratively different in price. Delta is not IM unsanded, it isma multi modulus design like many over the last decade or longer with a special high modulus glass. Whether it's laid up linear. or as scrim I'm not sure, all I know is the blanks are very durable and don't appear to have sacrificed any weight disadvantage to speak of on the rods I've been around.
Interesting. I guess their customer service rep doesn't know what he's talking about

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:50 pm

So this is a follow up to prior posts and earlier discussions. I ordered two blanks from NFC during their big sale. I have built on NFC blanks before and was very satisfied. In any case I received notification earlier this week that the blanks were shipped. They arrived today while I was not at home, not that it would have mattered. Anyway the tube was on my front porch broken in two places which made my heart sink. I took pictures of the tube and carried it in the house. No surprise the X-ray blank was broke in half, the other blank appears OK. I stopped unwrapping when I discovered the damage. On Monday I will go to the post office and see what happens.

The bad part in my mind is that if I come out OK money wise I may still have wait two months for a new blank.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:02 pm

timinmo wrote:So this is a follow up to prior posts and earlier discussions. I ordered two blanks from NFC during their big sale. I have built on NFC blanks before and was very satisfied. In any case I received notification earlier this week that the blanks were shipped. They arrived today while I was not at home, not that it would have mattered. Anyway the tube was on my front porch broken in two places which made my heart sink. I took pictures of the tube and carried it in the house. No surprise the X-ray blank was broke in half, the other blank appears OK. I stopped unwrapping when I discovered the damage. On Monday I will go to the post office and see what happens.

The bad part in my mind is that if I come out OK money wise I may still have wait two months for a new blank.
I had a blank that was either defective or damaged in shipment. They took care of me. I do have to wait for a new blank though.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

mobass11652
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mobass11652 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:42 am

All 6 blanks that were ordered were delivered this past Saturday. Not sure if they meant do do it but every Delta I ordered ended up being a sanded blank with IM header card

Angler JO
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Angler JO » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:21 am

Across the digital world, on forums and social media pages, POINT Blank is consistently ranked as one of the top 3 or 4 "best" blanks out there in its category. Of course, there will always be those who disagree.
Angler's Resource

mobass11652
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mobass11652 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:52 am

Glad other people like them, the blanks are nice when you receive what you order. I ordered the 731 mhf as it was labeled when I ordered it. After you guys researched it Jim tells me well the blank was rated incorrectly by a quarter ounceand was only good for 3/4 of an ounce. You had it listed at the time for up 1.5 ounce depending on which source you looked at. So my calculations come up with the blank I got was off by 3/4 ..... that’s a HUGE discrepancy. I told them the measurements from the butt and tip and told you all that this was the medium blank so I paid another 75.00 to supposedly get the correct 731mhf and was sent another blank. AGAIN it was another medium with the same measurements as the previous blank not the medium heavy as I paid for. So IMHO your customer service is total garbage and I don’t care who says your blank are wonderful I will never again buy a point blank. I will gladly stick with Batson, St. Croix, Phenix and Northfork

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:53 am

So I had posted earlier about receiving a broken blank from NFC and wanted to follow up. I contacted Scarlett at NFC and have received a new blank. The replacement was done in a timely manner and I am very pleased with their response.
On the other side while the tubes they ship in seem to be of solid construction, both the first one and this last one were broken. I can only assume that that USPS handling leaves something to be desired. Once again NFC handled the situation wonderfully but the post office seems to hate anything other than a letter.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:53 pm

timinmo wrote:So I had posted earlier about receiving a broken blank from NFC and wanted to follow up. I contacted Scarlett at NFC and have received a new blank. The replacement was done in a timely manner and I am very pleased with their response.
On the other side while the tubes they ship in seem to be of solid construction, both the first one and this last one were broken. I can only assume that that USPS handling leaves something to be desired. Once again NFC handled the situation wonderfully but the post office seems to hate anything other than a letter.
It's only getting worse. I've seen more broken rods now than ever - from every courier.

Ryan808
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ryan808 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:56 pm

Got a couple X-Rays, HM's and PB's and for some reason I keep going back to the HMs. I agree with some of the inconsistency on the NFC blanks, but that's what makes certain blanks magical :lol:

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:25 am

Any new opinions of the X Ray blanks.

Also, NFC announced in their 10 year anniversary celebration that they chose to give the wholesale price direct to the buyer. Seems like it may be a permanent thing.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing