Help making a 2 piece rod

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Help making a 2 piece rod

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:27 pm

I am looking to make a 2 piece rod where the connection is at the handle like the Megabass X7 or many other JDM rods.

I will be looking to connect a flipping blank to a handle. The blank is 7 ft 6in. I am guessing I will need to reinforce the blank where the connection overlap.

How long does the male piece go into the blank? I have a Megabass Destroyer X7 Destruction to reference but, that is male blank into female handle.

I have the handle from my broken X7 Destruction.

I have a handle from a broken Tatula. The male part comes about 3in.

Any ideas are appreciated.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: Help making a 2 piece rod

Post by Mattman » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:05 am

ccass wrote:
How long does the male piece go into the blank?
I'm not at all familiar with the rod but my rule of thumb for ferrule construction is the overlap should be 6 times the diameter of the blank at the connection.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:31 am

Mattman wrote:
ccass wrote:
How long does the male piece go into the blank?
I'm not at all familiar with the rod but my rule of thumb for ferrule construction is the overlap should be 6 times the diameter of the blank at the connection.
Thanks for the response. Blank is just over half inch so, should be good. Would the same rule apply if it's at the butt of the blank? The blank will be a NFC Flip 766-1 HM
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:58 am

ccass wrote: Would the same rule apply if it's at the butt of the blank?

I've not messed around with "pushing the envelope" at all. So, I don't know how short you could get away with. But, down at the butt, you could certainly go longer. There really isn't any flex to be concerned about. So going longer shouldn't pose any problems.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods