Scale Recommendation? +PB701MHF Weight

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Scale Recommendation? +PB701MHF Weight

Post by ogrich31 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:59 pm

I didn't measure deflection and I've already built it. Mine does feel closer to an MBR844 than an 843, but I need more time with it before I can clearly say for sure.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:03 pm

ogrich31 wrote:I didn't measure deflection and I've already built it. Mine does feel closer to an MBR844 than an 843, but I need more time with it before I can clearly say for sure.

Beauty. Is that grip sculpted, or pre cut? Is that a Daiwa hook keeper? I threw mine in the trash.

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ogrich31 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:34 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:Beauty. Is that grip sculpted, or pre cut? Is that a Daiwa hook keeper? I threw mine in the trash.
Thanks! It's pre cut. I prefer to buy them pre cut since I work every day (less time), but I shape my own grips when I can't find something that I need. Also, no one seems to want cork these days so I haven't restocked on cork rings lol. Yes, those Daiwa hook keepers go on all of my rods. It's been years since I've built a personal rod with a hook keeper.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:04 pm

ogrich31 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:Beauty. Is that grip sculpted, or pre cut? Is that a Daiwa hook keeper? I threw mine in the trash.
Thanks! It's pre cut. I prefer to buy them pre cut since I work every day (less time), but I shape my own grips when I can't find something that I need. Also, no one seems to want cork these days so I haven't restocked on cork rings lol. Yes, those Daiwa hook keepers go on all of my rods. It's been years since I've built a personal rod with a hook keeper.
Which grip is that, Fuji?

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ogrich31 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:16 pm

Reel seat is a painted Fuji PULS thanks to the recommendation of Toddmc. All the components are from Matagi, including the cork. If that's what you're asking.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:45 pm

ogrich31 wrote:Reel seat is a painted Fuji PULS thanks to the recommendation of Toddmc. All the components are from Matagi, including the cork. If that's what you're asking.
The 8" grip on the Voodoo rods website, or a different one? The reason I said Fuji, is because they have a similar pre formed cork grip that I like to use.

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:26 pm

How’s the quality on these grips you guys are talking about?

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ogrich31 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:30 pm

Here's the picture of the handle as well as the parts I used on the paper (all ordered directly from Matagi). I did cut and shape the cork slightly though, it's closer to 9" I believe.

Edit: won't let me post the image for some reason... So here's the link.
https://imgur.com/a/ZbZzUOi

You can see the quality of the pre-shaped Matagi cork from my picture. It's not AAA or AAAA quality or anything, and they do use cork filler. I feel I get the same quality from picking out the better cork rings from the bulk cork rings that I used to buy (with using cork filler).