Scrimless NFC

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
bish0p
Angler
Angler

Scrimless NFC

Post by bish0p » Sat May 19, 2018 10:16 am

NFC finally went scrimless on a few blanks. Any rod builders gonna try it? I'm still waiting for the grips I ordered.

https://northforkcomposites.com/x-ray-rod-blanks/

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Scrimless NFC

Post by Cal » Sat May 19, 2018 12:42 pm

These blanks sound really interesting....
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun May 20, 2018 2:02 am

Those introductory prices are indeed nice. That being said, I'll wait for others to take the 1st plunge. It's all subjective, and while I find that HMs to be really nice blanks, I feel the Point Blank's are on another level. NFC is going to have to wow me in a big way. If I find a blank I want, and they run these on one of their 50% sales, I might dip my toes in. PB Is close to 100 dollars less than what these appear to retail at.

sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sarcazmo » Sun May 20, 2018 3:48 pm

I ordered two.

I called and spoke to someone, and they said these blanks are an improved version of the HM blanks. At this price I figured why not. I'm curious about the weights though. On the phone they said they were still adding info but it doesn't look like it has been added. I bought the MB736 and SJ736. I'm hoping they're under ~2oz (which I believe is similar to the point blank 73 models.)

Funny, I was actually going to buy a couple point blanks and then this sale happened. I probably will down the road since I haven't built on them.

Couldn't really pass up two for this introductory price.

stevenhatchy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by stevenhatchy » Sun May 20, 2018 6:37 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:Those introductory prices are indeed nice. That being said, I'll wait for others to take the 1st plunge. It's all subjective, and while I find that HMs to be really nice blanks, I feel the Point Blank's are on another level. NFC is going to have to wow me in a big way. If I find a blank I want, and they run these on one of their 50% sales, I might dip my toes in. PB Is close to 100 dollars less than what these appear to retail at.
I’m in the exact same spot. I eyed these new NFC blanks hard, but still think I would rather have another Point Blank. Maybe I can Use the true Tackle Tour solution and get one of both!

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sun May 20, 2018 6:54 pm

stevenhatchy wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:Those introductory prices are indeed nice. That being said, I'll wait for others to take the 1st plunge. It's all subjective, and while I find that HMs to be really nice blanks, I feel the Point Blank's are on another level. NFC is going to have to wow me in a big way. If I find a blank I want, and they run these on one of their 50% sales, I might dip my toes in. PB Is close to 100 dollars less than what these appear to retail at.
I’m in the exact same spot. I eyed these new NFC blanks hard, but still think I would rather have another Point Blank. Maybe I can Use the true Tackle Tour solution and get one of both!

So where are these blanks made?

Nowhere on pb's site does it say?

All it says is that they started after being a fuji "distributor" or some ish.

Are they just Chinese manufactured blanks?

Never saw one in person.

But Have to say...after fishing a few of the nfc blanks this past month and some kistler rods using them....I'm about ot pull the trigger on some of the new NFC's. 50% off everything is pretty sweet

Angler JO
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Angler JO » Mon May 21, 2018 7:55 am

POINT Blank™ is made in China, but it's not a "puppy mill" blank coming out of Weihai, it's made a thousand miles from there by a very well respected "breeder".
Angler's Resource

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon May 21, 2018 8:14 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:
stevenhatchy wrote:

Never saw one in person.

But Have to say...after fishing a few of the nfc blanks this past month and some kistler rods using them....I'm about ot pull the trigger on some of the new NFC's. 50% off everything is pretty sweet
Skip the NFC and go with Point Blank. I truly wish all my builds were this. The blanks just have that it factor and do everything right. It's actually difficult to articulate until you use one.

sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sarcazmo » Mon May 21, 2018 9:56 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:
stevenhatchy wrote:

Never saw one in person.

Skip the NFC and go with Point Blank. I truly wish all my builds were this. The blanks just have that it factor and do everything right. It's actually difficult to articulate until you use one.
This makes me glad I just pulled the trigger on two of these new x-ray blanks lol

bish0p
Angler
Angler

Post by bish0p » Mon May 21, 2018 10:35 am

It seems opinions vary on the type of NFC blank. I've been very happy with the steelhead and salmon blanks. These blanks seem to have a good reputation. The opinions on the bass blanks vary. I'm open to using blanks from NFC, Point Blank, Rainshadow or any of the quality manufacturers.

I wish Point Blank offered a greater selection. I'll eventually build on one of their blanks.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon May 21, 2018 1:07 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:
stevenhatchy wrote:

Never saw one in person.

The Point Blanks just load up smoother. There is a fairly recent thread on Tackle Tour about how the NRX twists when you load it up. A guy had a picture showing it. I've never taken a picture of a Point Blank when it is loaded up, but it just feels smooth. It doesn't feel like there is any twisting going on. A lot of the high end blanks feel brittle. I caught a largemouth a couple ounces shy of 10 pounds on one of my Point Blanks a few months ago and it blew me away how it was able to handle that fish without feeling stressed. If the NFC scrimless blanks are this good, I'll probably try one. In the meantime, I'm having more Point Blanks rods built for me.

stevenhatchy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by stevenhatchy » Mon May 21, 2018 2:24 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
stevenhatchy wrote:

Never saw one in person.

I don’t want to come across as saying the Point Blank is the “end all, be all” in rods. I have a NFC HM that I like and a couple of Kistler KLXs that are great rods. I only have one Point Blank, but it’s a rod that I use for light Texas rigs and it is just amazing to me how well it casts and how sensitive it is. All the rods I have mentioned have been plenty sensitive, though. I will probably try one of the scrimless NFCs at some point.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon May 21, 2018 3:56 pm

toddmc wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:
stevenhatchy wrote:

Never saw one in person.

The Point Blanks just load up smoother. There is a fairly recent thread on Tackle Tour about how the NRX twists when you load it up. A guy had a picture showing it. I've never taken a picture of a Point Blank when it is loaded up, but it just feels smooth. It doesn't feel like there is any twisting going on. A lot of the high end blanks feel brittle. I caught a largemouth a couple ounces shy of 10 pounds on one of my Point Blanks a few months ago and it blew me away how it was able to handle that fish without feeling stressed. If the NFC scrimless blanks are this good, I'll probably try one. In the meantime, I'm having more Point Blanks rods built for me.
Very nice assessment. There's also something special about how the PBs resonate, with an extremely solid, yet far from subtle vibration. I love the tapers and depth throughout the relatively deep flex of the blank, but the blank also let's you know it is capable of a K.O punch with all that oomph in the hind in.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon May 21, 2018 3:57 pm

sarcazmo wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:
stevenhatchy wrote:

Never saw one in person.

This makes me glad I just pulled the trigger on two of these new x-ray blanks lol
For 150 bucks you did well. I'm sure these blanks are nothing short of fantastic, and I'm very curious to hear your thoughts.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Thu May 24, 2018 7:56 am

Lighter, stronger, more sensitive. Sounds nice! That mb 736 looks like the one I'd want most.

Really interested to hear feedback on these.