Fuji PULS Palm Support Reel Seat

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Fuji PULS Palm Support Reel Seat

Post by toddmc » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:01 pm

Fuji PULS Palm Support Seat.JPG
Fuji PULS Palm Support Seat.JPG (43.7 KiB) Viewed 9851 times
This new seat is for you guys that like to fish with all of your fingers in front of the trigger. It looks a bit like the PTS seat, but with the trigger laid back and the wings higher and more rounded so that they don't get in the way. It is super comfortable if you fish this way.
I had it built up on a Point Blank 6'9" MLXF with a straight cork rear grip. It balances perfectly with a SV105 right at the nose plate of the reel. It makes a great small topwater, crank, or dropshot rig.

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Fuji PULS Palm Support Reel Seat

Post by Jason Penn » Thu May 09, 2019 10:08 am

sorry to bump an old thread, but are these seats anything like the old daiwa tds green handle seats? i'm really trying to find something that i like that is available.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sun May 12, 2019 6:36 pm

Those Daiwa seats were comfortable. I have never owned one, but I think they are similar based on my handling a few of them many years back. I've had three rods built with this seat, and I really like it.

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ogrich31 » Mon May 13, 2019 3:50 am

I believe they are similar, but those td-s seats look like they sit the reel lower on the blank.

I tried the PULS with the recommendation from toddmc, but I'm not sure how I feel about them just yet. I think part of it has to do with the blank I put it on, a Point Blank PB701MHF. The blank fishes a little heavier than I thought it would, or maybe I'm just not used to the blank yet. The reel seat is comfortable enough to fish all day (a very big plus), but I would prefer a size 16 over a size 17 (the only size they come in). Also, I'm not sure how I feel about extra weight with the insert. A properly fitted ecs seat would be lighter. But then again, I don't have enough time on the water with the reel seat yet. It normally takes me a whole season of fishing before I decide.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon May 13, 2019 8:41 am

ogrich31 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 3:50 am
I believe they are similar, but those td-s seats look like they sit the reel lower on the blank.

I tried the PULS with the recommendation from toddmc, but I'm not sure how I feel about them just yet. I think part of it has to do with the blank I put it on, a Point Blank PB701MHF. The blank fishes a little heavier than I thought it would, or maybe I'm just not used to the blank yet. The reel seat is comfortable enough to fish all day (a very big plus), but I would prefer a size 16 over a size 17 (the only size they come in). Also, I'm not sure how I feel about extra weight with the insert. A properly fitted ecs seat would be lighter. But then again, I don't have enough time on the water with the reel seat yet. It normally takes me a whole season of fishing before I decide.
The extra size and weight of the insert is an issue for some. I love the PULS seat, but it does need to come in more sizes that prevent having to use the insert. You would think that Fuji would make more sizes because the seats are very cheap and easy to make.
As far as the PB701MHF, the tip is much lighter than the old custom Loomis IMX 843 blanks that I have. The size of the butt section and the way that this blank tapers take getting used to. You will notice that the RDA of the Point Blank is lower than many MH rods. I felt that my PB701MHF was heavy at first, but it throws 1/4 ounce baits better than many other MH blanks that I have tried.

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ogrich31 » Tue May 14, 2019 1:56 am

toddmc wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:41 am
The extra size and weight of the insert is an issue for some. I love the PULS seat, but it does need to come in more sizes that prevent having to use the insert. You would think that Fuji would make more sizes because the seats are very cheap and easy to make.
As far as the PB701MHF, the tip is much lighter than the old custom Loomis IMX 843 blanks that I have. The size of the butt section and the way that this blank tapers take getting used to. You will notice that the RDA of the Point Blank is lower than many MH rods. I felt that my PB701MHF was heavy at first, but it throws 1/4 ounce baits better than many other MH blanks that I have tried.
Interesting that you should say that. I've only used the PB701MHF a few times, and it feels closer to a 844glx than a 843glx. I feel the tip wasn't as soft as my 843, which is the rod that it'll be replacing. I also haven't thrown 1/4oz with it (3/8-1oz only). One thing's for sure, I need more time on the water with it. I've probably only used it for a few hours at most.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue May 14, 2019 11:38 am

ogrich31 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 1:56 am
toddmc wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:41 am
Interesting that you should say that. I've only used the PB701MHF a few times, and it feels closer to a 844glx than a 843glx. I feel the tip wasn't as soft as my 843, which is the rod that it'll be replacing. I also haven't thrown 1/4oz with it (3/8-1oz only). One thing's for sure, I need more time on the water with it. I've probably only used it for a few hours at most.
I'm at the point where I don't trust any blank manufacturer's quality control because of all of these different opinions that I see from experienced anglers. Maybe the differences in each build have something to do with it? I suspect that blanks can vary so much for the same model that everyone's experiences really are different. I hope that this isn't the case for Point Blank. The RDA of the GLX 843 should be a bit higher than the PB701MHF. The Point Blank's are so much different in their build process and feel that they do take some getting used to. The PULS seat and thicker butt of the Point Blank can make that blank feel substantially different than more tip heavy blanks with lighter seats.

Angler JO
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Angler JO » Fri May 17, 2019 11:41 am

Some of the heavier power POINT Blanks have diameters that make using the size 16 carbon seat inserts impossible. Just keep in mind that the ID of the 16 seat is 15mm (subtracting .5mm of wall thickness for a net ID of 14mm) or 16mm on the size 17 seats. Any blank exceeding this OD will not fit. Best bet is to always choose a size 17 seat for a PB.
Angler's Resource