Needing help choosing components

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
TK_duluthbass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Needing help choosing components

Post by TK_duluthbass » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:58 am

I have 4 NFC Delta blanks I need to build before MN opener and I’d like some recommendations on the components before I start. The only part I am considering using right now are the Fuji ACS reel seats. I want to be as thrifty as possible since these aren’t HM blanks. I have 1 cranking rod and the other 3 will probably be used for jig/worm and frogging. I have only built one rod before and it from a mudhole MHX kit. I’d like to use the smallest guides I can and will be using braid on all rods except the cranking rod. I don’t know what the best thread diameter to use is either. What is the best technique to balance a rod without adding a lot of weight to the butt. I’ll be thankful for any help from you guys. Here’s a picture of the specifications

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Needing help choosing components

Post by ogrich31 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:15 pm

Unless you've used and like ACS reel seats, I'd suggest getting ECS. They're much more comfortable in most people's hands. I'd buy a bunch in different sizes so you have enough to make sure each blank gets the proper size.

If you're going cheap, I'd suggest PacBay Minima guides. I don't use these on my custom builds, but have them on some of my factory rods. They're great for the price.

Size A is really the only size to use. Make sure to get a thread that doesn't need color preserver or else it will be transparent after you apply the finish (unless of course, you apply color preserver). I like using Fuji Ultra Poly.

The only ways that I've found around getting a better balanced rod are a longer handle, heavier handle material, less things in front of the reel seat (smaller wraps, less epoxy, lighter guides, ect), or a weighted butt.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:37 pm

Fuji ECS all day. It's still top dog for comfort, and dirt cheap. Fuji SS Alconites are also best bang for buck imo.
Stripper guide as the only double foot. Size 5 runners are about perfect, however the size 5.5s have a little more meat, making them a tad easier to wrap. A set in this fashion will run ya roughly 25 - 30 bucks.
Eva is inexpensive, go full grip so no need for winding checks on the handle. Budget build - leave the trim rings at the store. Cheap butt cap is a couple bucks.So what are we looking at, 40 dollars a pop. Too much?

sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sarcazmo » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:48 am

VinnyOA wrote:American tackle Edge reel seats are legit.Those fuji reel seats are outdated.
Do they offer multiple sizes like the fuji ecs for direct on blank placement? I keep going back to fuji and alps because of that :-)

TK_duluthbass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TK_duluthbass » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:39 pm

Thanks for responses, it’s helping me narrow down my browsing. Having trouble finding spacing charts for guide placement. Do I need guides of multiple sizes that taper down to my smallest guide?

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:05 pm

I believe NFC has guide spacing info on their web site for each rod. You can buy guide kits from Mudhole and they will have the different sized guides or you can just look at the kits to get an idea of what sizes you should order. Both the guide kits and the spacing charts are rather generic and you may decide to go differently for your specific purpose but they give you a starting point. Hope you enjoy the new hobby.