Line guide replacement

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Line guide replacement

Post by Obz » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:34 pm

I lost an eyelet on my st.croix mojo. It's the 3rd guide from the reel seat. Is it hard to replace the guide? Heat it, unwrap it, add a new one? I have none of the materials to fix it. Does time×material=new rod in this situation? The rod is out of warranty. Thanks

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Line guide replacement

Post by Obz » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:35 pm

Its a guest rod/walleye rod in my boat.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:22 am

That's a ~$25 repair by any builder. If you've got a local tackle shop, they often have a guy that does that sort of work that they can refer you to.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:11 am

Thank you

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:38 pm

There are some amazing people out there building rods and doing great repairs. There are not any in Memphis TN that will touch my rods. Seems like the northern states have a lot of skilled guys and along the coasts. Look at a few samples of their work to know what your getting into.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:14 am

angry john wrote:There are some amazing people out there building rods and doing great repairs. There are not any in Memphis TN that will touch my rods. Seems like the northern states have a lot of skilled guys and along the coasts. Look at a few samples of their work to know what your getting into.
I would ask a couple of my local tackle shops if they have someone they recommend. If they recommend the same builder, you'll know that it's someone who is reputable. If they don't recommend anyone, try contacting the rod manuf. and see if they have more local service, or someone close they recommend.

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:44 am

its an old rod, dunno if you need the highest quality repair.

Find a replacement guide, some thread, stack of magazines (to put some thread tension on the thread), cardboard box (to cut V notches in for holding the rod while you spin on the guide) and some clear fingernail polish for finish. wrap it up yourself and you will have something useable and that doesnt look too bad.

For the record, i have wrapped guides with dental floss and superglue finish. Gotta love hotel room fixes prior to tournament day. :)

youtube has a bunch of videos on threadwrapping guides