Experimenting with XUL BFS

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
RIng
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Experimenting with XUL BFS

Post by RIng » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:49 pm

I am getting together every thing too build 2 rods . I have a 6' 3 wt. 3 pic. glass blank now and will get a 5'- 8"' 0---2wt. graphite fly blank . I am going to build rods for trout and perch etc. I am looking too build rods with the action of the Casket rods used in the Enjoy Fishing Japaneses videos . Time will tell , but it should be a interesting winter . Good fishing and building to all !!!

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Experimenting with XUL BFS

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:50 pm

Keep track of your build lists, I may need it if your XUL rod works out.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

RIng
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by RIng » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:30 pm

I have great hope that it will work , I just don't know how good it will work . I have built a number of 1 , 2 , and 3 wt. fly rods and know how the blanks work and act . They will be slower and have more flexibility than most bass fisherman like , but that is not what they will be used for . The 3 wt. Glass blank I have is a McFarland blank and he makes some of the best fiberglass being made today .

fishingkat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishingkat » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:25 pm

Hey I have tried this route a few times. I find that some UL blanks that are non fly blanks work better 90% of the time.

If u insist on a fly blank. I've tried 2 and 4 wt.

For the two I chop a 6.6 equally at both ends to 5.6 and then it was ideal. I had about 10 of these to play with and I found if the tip was left uncropped it would snap easily (broke 2) unless it really using super light drag. I use 4lbs line for testing. The shortening of the tip made it less whippy and it was a lot better for casting.

For the 4 wt. If it is a 4pc blank omit the butt section( last piece) and it would be ideal for bfs.

Ideally you should be looking at the xf blanks. I 've tried some MF and fast and they really were too slow unless cropped.

Hope it helps a little.

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fffishing » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:33 am

I'm glad to see a guys with same interest like myself...Will build a couple rods from fly blanks too,just waiting for parts.
:)