St Croix. . . . Naked

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

St Croix. . . . Naked

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:54 pm

:shock:
Has anyone stripped the paint off an St Croix blank, or seen the end result? I think I recall reading it was rather unsightly.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: St Croix. . . . Naked

Post by Mattman » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:58 am

I've stripped quite a few. Not the prettiest graphite I've seen. Especially the SCV. Lots of swirls and blobs. Then again, if you're into unique and free form, you'll probably love it.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

jim spooner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jim spooner » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:32 am

I strip all of mine (SC5s) and as Matt said, most are not great looking, but once in a while I get a "clean" looking one. They all perform well and the "ugly" ones have added character.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:23 pm

Thanks guys

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:29 pm

St Croixs are ugly enough with clothes :lol: . It would be blinding to see one naked :shock:

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:25 pm

Fishing4Fun wrote:St Croixs are ugly enough with clothes :lol: . It would be blinding to see one naked :shock:
:lol:

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:18 pm

Does anyone have pics? I am curious to see what they look like now :D

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:53 pm

I am interested yet confused by all of this. Why does anyone strip a rod and what do ANY of them look like "stripped"???

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:42 am

DirtyD64 wrote:I am interested yet confused by all of this. Why does anyone strip a rod and what do ANY of them look like "stripped"???
Aesthetically, some may not like the colour of the blank. Most stripped blanks just look like a dark grey tube but some have a woven carbon fiber outer layer too.

Functionally, the owner may want different guides or a different guide layout. Also, stripping the paint removes some weight from the blank making it crisper.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:47 am

DirtyD64 wrote:Why does anyone strip a rod
A lot of guys don't like St. Croix's colors.

Paint = weight. Weight = reduction in performance.

DirtyD64 wrote:what do ANY of them look like "stripped"???
Its hard to describe but the graphite isn't in a "regular pattern". The graphite will be "normal" in a lot of areas. Very consistent looking. Like most blanks. But then randomly there are areas of the graphite looking very "swirled" and "uneven" in consistency.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'm sure some guys don't mind the looks. "Character" is probably a term they would use.
Matt Davis

Josh-G
Angler
Angler

Post by Josh-G » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:59 am

I stripped a spinning 3C69MLXF and converted it to a casting. I had to sand down the whole blank and the result was good. I didn´t seal it or anything. It looks like any unpainted raw blank.

shfishinsticks
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by shfishinsticks » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:00 pm

Josh-G wrote:I stripped a spinning 3C69MLXF and converted it to a casting. I had to sand down the whole blank and the result was good. I didn´t seal it or anything. It looks like any unpainted raw blank.
The SCIIIs don't look bad. The carbon Pearl is just a tinted clear coat, so you can see what it looks like even with the paint on. It's the SCIV and SCV that aren't all that nice.

Josh-G
Angler
Angler

Post by Josh-G » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:56 am

Thanks for the info. As mentioned I´m very happy with the result of the SC3. But I´m about to work an an SC5 that needs to be sanded down, too. So should I seal the surface after sanding? Or is it just the irregular apperance of the fibers that irritates?

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Mattman » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:29 am

Josh-G wrote:Thanks for the info. As mentioned I´m very happy with the result of the SC3. But I´m about to work an an SC5 that needs to be sanded down, too. So should I seal the surface after sanding? Or is it just the irregular apperance of the fibers that irritates?
Just appearance

I use carnuba wax when the rod is complete
Matt Davis

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:14 am

Josh-G wrote:I stripped a spinning 3C69MLXF and converted it to a casting. I had to sand down the whole blank and the result was good. I didn´t seal it or anything. It looks like any unpainted raw blank.
I would love to convert one of their 5'6" Light Premier spinning rods into a semi-BFS rod. If I had the time and resources that would be a dream project for me, add a really good seat and guides, would be amazing.