Custom cranking stick x-13

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Custom cranking stick x-13

Postby angry john » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:10 pm

Was looking at building a big cranking stick for large cranks as small trebble swimbaits. The pheonix x-13 seems to fit the bill perfectly rated .5-3oz.
TT gave the production rod a good review minus the handle length which I fully intended to adress. Is this the best 7'6" blank that carries these specs
Or is there something better that I am missing. I like the wide range as it will go much higher than most I have seen. Any feedback on the blank or a
better blank would be very helpful.

toddmc
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Custom cranking stick x-13

Postby toddmc » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:50 am

I've got two custom builds with the X-13. The 3 oz. high end rating isn't accurate. You wouldn't be able to throw 1/2 oz. baits very well with a rod that is capable of throwing 3 oz. I use mine for 6XD's and DD22's primarily. This is its wheelhouse. You can throw an 8XD, but this starts to get on the upper end. 10XD's need a parabolic swimbait rod or flipping rod.

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby angry john » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:21 pm

Well then it might not be what i thought. The rating seems very close to the white python MB slant bridge which will throw the full range. I was hoping that it was going to be super versatile. I believe the python is a medium fast rod not moderate but the length and lure range were close. ](*,)

Crd4Liberty
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Postby Crd4Liberty » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:29 pm

The action of a rod has no bearing on whether or not it will work as a crankbait stick, it's the blanks' final power and nothing more, we've been using X fast rod blanks for fishing crankbaits for 35+ years. Blanks built for popping and crankbaits have been used forever, and don't have anything like the power characteristics of a mag bass blank, but I have successfully fished cranks on spin jig blanks and hotshot blanks for many years. Some hotshot blanks will easily throw the weights you specified.

Return to “Custom Rods”