Spiral wrapped guides and fluoro

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Spiral wrapped guides and fluoro

Post by rockchalk06 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:35 am

I have 3 customs building off PB Blanks with Torzite spiral wrapped guides. When I had these built, I was using braid only. No issues with them at all. Now that I am using more fluoro, I am finding I have more issues controlling the spool. I use only FC Sniper in 12# or lighter.

It's almost like the line has so much memory that it's getting hung up in the guides if that makes since. I will switch the reel over to a rod with standard guides that are straight and my problem disappears.

Anyone else notice this issue or is this something I overlooked when having these rods built?

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Re: Spiral wrapped guides and fluoro

Post by mark poulson » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:20 am

I have never used a spiral wrapped rod, but I have found a way to cut down on problems with coiling fluoro.
I tie my fluoro off to my truck and walk out a long cast+. I engage the reel, and pull the line until it feels like it's not stretching any more, and then rewind it as I walk back to my truck. This removes the coiling for the next trip.
If I don't do it every couple of trips, the fluoro coils really badly when I am picking out a birdsnest.
I switched to braid with a fluoro leader for my spinning setups, because of coiling.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:46 am

Did you to take off the exact bait and the exact reel when they are causing the problem and put it on a non-spiral rod to control for those variables? You may just have a bait that isn't running true. Are the guides on each rod the same diameter? I find that the smaller 4mm micro guides amplify the nasty feeling that comes with twisted fluoro. The spiral rod may amplify it even more. I fish a lot of Sniper also.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:23 am

I never had a problem with spiral wrapped guides and FC. I have 3 setups that have FC and spiral wrapped guides and I have no problems that I could blame the guide layout on. I skip and pitch and no problems.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:23 pm

mark poulson wrote:I have never used a spiral wrapped rod, but I have found a way to cut down on problems with coiling fluoro.
I tie my fluoro off to my truck and walk out a long cast+. I engage the reel, and pull the line until it feels like it's not stretching any more, and then rewind it as I walk back to my truck. This removes the coiling for the next trip.
If I don't do it every couple of trips, the fluoro coils really badly when I am picking out a birdsnest.
I switched to braid with a fluoro leader for my spinning setups, because of coiling.
I do this every couple of weeks too. I will have to try it more often.

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:25 pm

toddmc wrote:Did you to take off the exact bait and the exact reel when they are causing the problem and put it on a non-spiral rod to control for those variables? You may just have a bait that isn't running true. Are the guides on each rod the same diameter? I find that the smaller 4mm micro guides amplify the nasty feeling that comes with twisted fluoro. The spiral rod may amplify it even more. I fish a lot of Sniper also.

I took the Met MG7 off the spiral wrapped rod and put it on a straight guide GLX. Same bait each time. 1/10 oz NED rig with Big TRD.

My spiral wrapped guides are micro and the GLX are not.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:35 pm

All my sticks are spiral wrapped except one. I use nothing but fluoro, with zero issue. What fluoro are you using? Are you throwing baits that twist the line?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:00 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:All my sticks are spiral wrapped except one. I use nothing but fluoro, with zero issue. What fluoro are you using? Are you throwing baits that twist the line?
This is big. I remember using a weightless worm that twisted up my line. Constant problems until I let all the line out and reeled it in.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:01 pm

rockchalk06 wrote:
toddmc wrote:Did you to take off the exact bait and the exact reel when they are causing the problem and put it on a non-spiral rod to control for those variables? You may just have a bait that isn't running true. Are the guides on each rod the same diameter? I find that the smaller 4mm micro guides amplify the nasty feeling that comes with twisted fluoro. The spiral rod may amplify it even more. I fish a lot of Sniper also.

I took the Met MG7 off the spiral wrapped rod and put it on a straight guide GLX. Same bait each time. 1/10 oz NED rig with Big TRD.

My spiral wrapped guides are micro and the GLX are not.
None of my customs are spiral wrapped, but the one custom that I had built with 4mm guides has noticeably more vibration when I have line twist with Sniper. I purposely use reaction baits that don't tend to twist with the rod that has 4mm guides. I went to 5mm guides on all my customs because I couldn't see the 4mm guides, I had algae clogging them up, and because of the vibration problem mentioned. The 4mm guides feel really good with fresh fluoro and a bait that doesn't tend to twist, but the trade-offs aren't worth it to me.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:56 pm

I love acid wrapped rods. But I'm not sure i see the purpose and storage hassel associated with the layout for fw bass fishing.

Angler JO
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Angler JO » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:34 am

The stiffness of FC is what lead Fuji to call the KR Concept a "braid" concept. Too much variation brand to brand in the way FC performs with smaller guides (spiral or not) for them to feel fully comfortable recommending micros for FC. I tend to be "extra careful" with FC above 8# and even then will opt for a size 5 to cover different conditions. Not suggesting it can't be done successfully - it is. Just requires a careful look IMO. Try a different brand FC or lighter FC...or go back to braid on that stick.
Angler's Resource

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:24 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:I love acid wrapped rods. But I'm not sure i see the purpose and storage hassel associated with the layout for fw bass fishing.
Storage can be a PITA. Purpose is logic.