Chinese and Japanese Character Decals

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Chinese and Japanese Character Decals

Post by zodiak311 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:59 am

Hi TT,
Does anyone know where I can have custom decals with Chinese and Kanji characters made for a build?
Thanks!
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

Angler JO
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Chinese and Japanese Character Decals

Post by Angler JO » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:43 am

Most Japanese have a signature "hanko" reserved for important documents like mortgages etc. There are all kinds of online sources for these stamps - search hanko. Once you buy your custom hanko you should be able to have someone convert it to a vector art file and send it directly to a custom decal maker.
Angler's Resource

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:41 am

Angler JO wrote:Most Japanese have a signature "hanko" reserved for important documents like mortgages etc. There are all kinds of online sources for these stamps - search hanko. Once you buy your custom hanko you should be able to have someone convert it to a vector art file and send it directly to a custom decal maker.
Awesome, what makes it tricky is if the image is not of high resolution, once shrunk, the lettering almost disappears or gets "muddled" if there are a lot of strokes in the character. Thanks for the info!
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

Angler JO
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Angler JO » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:33 pm

A vector file is about math, not pixels. It can be printed at 1/4-inch diameter or enlarged to the side of a semi and will not lose any resolution.

Order your signature hanko, it will probably be a stamp. Stamp it on a piece of white paper and do a close-up phone pic. Hand that off to someone who knows Illustrator and they can use it as a template to do the vector art. Only needs to be done once and you will have that file forever.
Angler's Resource

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:56 pm

Personally, I'd learn to pen them. I hate decals.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:51 pm

Mattman wrote:Personally, I'd learn to pen them. I hate decals.
It would be nice, but Chinese calligraphy is impossible to do with a pen.

daiwa lunatic
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwa lunatic » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:02 pm

I learned Chinese calligraphy when I was in elementary school in a Chinese class, you'll just need the right sequence of stroke and practice and you should be good. youtube the stroke you want and keep on practicing it and you'll be mastering it in no time.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:53 pm

daiwa lunatic wrote:I learned Chinese calligraphy when I was in elementary school in a Chinese class, you'll just need the right sequence of stroke and practice and you should be good. youtube the stroke you want and keep on practicing it and you'll be mastering it in no time.
Did you guys use a thick brush?

daiwa lunatic
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwa lunatic » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:05 pm

There's many kind of brush available for this, we used the small one and medium one for writing and quiz,if you have a Daiso store somewhere in your area, they have a lot for you to choose from.