Need help fixing Megabass F5-75X7 Extreme Mission

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Misfit
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Need help fixing Megabass F5-75X7 Extreme Mission

Post by Misfit » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:26 pm

I'm having problems with my EM. Bare with me as I don't know what these pieces are called... If you look at the photo you can see the rod handle with tape on the end and the piece directly to the left of it with tape on the inside. These pieces will not stick together so I can not tighten the reel down once reassembled. I even tried a touch of super glue and it became loose after a short time of fishing with it. The rod will get loose after each cast so it is not useable right now. Is this a special kind of tape? Could I remove it all and try and reapply it? Super glue it together? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: Need help fixing Megabass F5-75X7 Extreme Mission

Post by Mattman » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:05 am

So, I'm not 100% sure of what should be going on here construction wise. And I've never worked on a rod like this so I haven't held one. I'm guessing a lot here.

I'm assuming that piece with the tape inside it is threaded for the hood and also has a raceway to keep it aligned.

My gut is telling me that the piece with the tape inside it should be glued. Tape is such a horrible bonding tool. And its not a good gap filler either. I've not seen tape used in any Megabass rod that I've fixed or torn apart. This just doesn't seem right to me.

I also am surprised that is a separate piece. It seems to me that it should be a single piece back to the trigger. (Again, I've not worked on one or held one)

Also, superglue is not a great adhesive. Epoxy would be the best adhesive here. A long open time high build gel epoxy.

Was this a preowned rod?
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

MikeK
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MikeK » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:07 pm

Is the inside of the metal piece threaded? It looks similar to a collet nut for a router. Are there threads under the tape?

All speculation here, as like Matt I've never handled one of these.

Misfit
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Misfit » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:17 pm

Sorry I should have mentioned this is a 2 piece rod - removable handle.
I'm assuming that piece with the tape inside it is threaded for the hood and also has a raceway to keep it aligned.
That is correct.
My gut is telling me that the piece with the tape inside it should be glued. Tape is such a horrible bonding tool. And its not a good gap filler either. I've not seen tape used in any Megabass rod that I've fixed or torn apart. This just doesn't seem right to me.
Looks like just tape inside.
Was this a preowned rod?
No, brand new purchased from JPangler.
Is the inside of the metal piece threaded? It looks similar to a collet nut for a router. Are there threads under the tape?
No threads on the inside or under the tape. It just slides into position.

Here are a few better photos. Thanks!

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:00 pm

Thanks for the additional photos...big help.

I'm confused by the tape. That's just odd in my mind. Almost like it was there as a filler while laying everything out during the build and they just forgot to remove the tape and glue it. I do stuff like that when I'm laying things out to get everything to line up correctly and check fit before I start mixing epoxy.

If I'm correct in how everything is interacting, I'd use a reel seat arbor to take up the gap between the handle blank and the inside of the reel seat threads. I'd take an arbor that fits the seat threads, ream it out to fit the blank, cut it to length, epoxy that arbor to the blank, and then after it cures, epoxy the threads onto the reel seat arbor.

The only tape I'd consider using is mesh drywall tape. The mesh gaps fill with epoxy and make a great solid connection. I use this when the gap is small. Anywhere from one wrap of tape to ten or so wraps of tape.
Matt Davis

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Mattman » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:02 pm

Silly follow up question...

Is that supposed to be a 2-piece rod?
Matt Davis

nctrucker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nctrucker » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:39 am

the tackletrap ad says it is a two piece rod.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Mattman » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:08 pm

nctrucker wrote:the tackletrap ad says it is a two piece rod.
OK. I just had a thought that they forgot to glue that whole thing together.

So, just take care to keep the ferrule clear of epoxy when you mount the threaded barrel.
Matt Davis

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:12 pm

Seen it a few times. Easy fix with epoxy.

Misfit
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Misfit » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:57 am

Thanks for the help everyone. Should I remove all the tape and just use 2-part epoxy?

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Mattman » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:56 am

Misfit wrote:Thanks for the help everyone. Should I remove all the tape and just use 2-part epoxy?
Tape is bad. If you epoxy over tape your connection between the parts is still the tape.

I'd use a reel seat arbor to take up the gap between the handle blank and the inside of the reel seat threads. I'd take an arbor that fits the seat threads, ream it out to fit the blank, cut it to length, epoxy that arbor to the blank, and then after it cures, epoxy the threads onto the reel seat arbor.
Matt Davis

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:38 am

how much was this rod again? :) sorry couldnt resist...