North Fork Composites BFS rod

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Isaiah20
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

North Fork Composites BFS rod

Post by Isaiah20 » Wed May 24, 2017 7:00 am

Called NFC/Edge Rods to ask about a couple Rods in the line up for a BFS rod. After talking to the rep he said they could build me a one off custom on any blank I wanted. Strolling through the catalog I'm kind of at a loss on what to go with. I will be using the rod for 1/16 oz jigs with 3inch minnows, as well as small jerkbaits and inline spinners. Fishing in the Driftless for trout. The Steelhead head 741-1 was recommended but is to soft for my needs, and also a bit long for my taste while wading.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: North Fork Composites BFS rod

Post by Cal » Wed May 24, 2017 7:18 am

When they originally debuted their Black Widow Series of bass rods, they had a MagBass HM 6100 Drop Shot rod with an extra fast taper... that'd be the blank I'd target.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed May 24, 2017 8:28 am

MB661 HM. Maybe extend it 2-3 inches if it's too short for your liking. This blank should load and cast those baits according to the specs, and grant you some decent power should you hook up with a mondo, or fish current where you're at an disadvantage with a noodle like blank. Being it's from the high mod series, you shouldn't miss too many strikes :big grin:

JDLaman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by JDLaman » Wed May 24, 2017 8:59 am

Hogsticker is giving you some great advice. I own several customs built on NFC HM blanks and have extensive time on the MB662 HM. It's ratings are off in my opinion. I fish bottom contact, low resistance, baits up to 3/8 ounce total weight and fish topwaters to 1/2 ounce on that rod. I have landed some very mean and nasty Redfish on that rod in the 6-8 lb range. Matt Davis built it for me and it is a jewel of a rod. The MB661 HM should be perfect for your applications.

I would reach out to Matt Davis and get his recommendations as well as he has the experience and data to provide expert advice and zero in on a blank that will fit your application. He will also build you an outstanding custom rod!

Isaiah20
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Isaiah20 » Wed May 24, 2017 1:39 pm

How do you think the 661 would fair with the jerkbaits? 1/4 oz for Husky jerks. Or should I maybe go up a rod to the 662?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed May 24, 2017 7:19 pm

Isaiah20 wrote:How do you think the 661 would fair with the jerkbaits? 1/4 oz for Husky jerks. Or should I maybe go up a rod to the 662?
The power between the 2 blanks isn't significant. In simple terms it's roughly a half power. The big difference is the speed of the 661. It's a much faster blank. I'd opt for the 662 for quarter ounce jerkbaits. Depending on what you mean by 3" minnow - live bait or soft plastics. . . If the plastic is heavy enough to get the total weight with jig head in the range of 3/16 oz, I'd also opt for the 662, especially give the environment you are fishing. If we're talking super light live bait, the 661 may be better. In any case, as long as the blank will load and cast what you want, which I think the 662 will, having a little extra power is never a bad thing.

JDLaman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by JDLaman » Thu May 25, 2017 8:21 am

Here is some data I've accumulated over the years from Matt Davis:

NFC MB661 IM, Power 202g RDA 62

NFC MB662 HM, Power 227g RDA 62

NFC MB663 HM, Power 263g RDA 62

St. Croix 5S66MLF, Power 258g RDA 70

I own and fish all but the MB661. As you can see from the numbers, there is a slight bump in power in the 662 over the 661 but not much. If I were looking for better action to work a jerkbait, I would choose the 662. If I was looking for better casting, line protection and keeping fish buttoned up, I would choose the 661.