North Fork Composites

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
User avatar
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 5757
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: North Fork Composites

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon May 01, 2017 7:00 am

TK_duluthbass wrote:Well, they finally got my order straightened out. The whole process was a pain and I'm not happy about my transactions with them. I hope the blanks are worth the trouble.
You could always order them from a number of rodbuilding retailers and pay full price in the future :lol:
Sometimes life just isn't as simple as we'd prefer. I'm not excusing it or stating it's right, but it all generally works out in the end. Clearly they were not prepared for the number of orders they received. Poor planning, but at least they made it right. I think you will be happy with the blanks.

Susitnasalmonguide
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 292
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:36 pm
Location: Palmer, Alaska, USA
Contact:

Re: North Fork Composites

Post by Susitnasalmonguide » Mon May 01, 2017 7:29 am

Just a guess here -- but perhaps part of the reason for a sale was to ship inventory so NFC would not need to move it to their new facility. Shipping product means money has been received -- while moving product from one facility to another only costs the company money. I know when our local grocery store built a new and improved store across the highway they attempted to sell as much product from the old store (at discounted prices) as possible, rather than moving it just across the highway to the new store.

Although I have not received my blank order yet -- I have been highly impressed with a couple models of North Fork blanks I've built on in the past. I only have a week now, before I may start guiding summer salmon trips -- so I it would be nice if that order show up soon, and I had time to build rods before summer guide trips take over nearly all of my waking hours.

Fortunately, however, like many tackle tour followers, I have more than enough rods for everyone I take fishing through another fishing season even if I don't get the new rods built until fall.

Thanks for the reply to my question.
Quantum, HL Outdoors - ESB Bobbers, Pautzke Bait Company, Sufix

TK_duluthbass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:09 pm

Re: North Fork Composites

Post by TK_duluthbass » Sun May 07, 2017 11:26 am

](*,) they still haven't shipped my rods. It's driving me crazy

User avatar
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 5757
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: North Fork Composites

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun May 07, 2017 12:14 pm

TK_duluthbass wrote:](*,) they still haven't shipped my rods. It's driving me crazy
That's ridiculous

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:23 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: North Fork Composites

Post by timinmo » Sun May 07, 2017 9:42 pm

I received mine in a timely manner. I really did not keep track of when I ordered and when I received but the order came soon enough I never got worried.
I only comment on this because, twice now I have ordered and received blanks from North Fork and received them fairly quickly. This is as opposed to ordering from normal channels, Mudhole, Anglers Workshop, etc. any of which would be faster than ordering from North Fork. The point is they were slower but the product was delivered. I can only assume the foul up with your order was an exception and not the normal way of doing business.

I hope they get you order straighten out and delivered soon. It is a good blank and I'm sure you will like them.

User avatar
rh_916
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 189
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:47 pm

Re: North Fork Composites

Post by rh_916 » Sun May 07, 2017 9:58 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
TK_duluthbass wrote:](*,) they still haven't shipped my rods. It's driving me crazy
That's ridiculous



I haven't got mines too but I did called them up if they got my order and they do but might still be on back order that's why they haven't ship mines out yet.

stevenhatchy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:05 am

Re: North Fork Composites

Post by stevenhatchy » Mon May 08, 2017 10:24 am

Ordered mine on April 12. Sent them a message on Facebook today and got an email this evening with a tracking number. I will never complain, especially with the price I paid for this rod ($111.61, shipped!), but it does pay to follow up with them apparently!

User avatar
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 5757
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: North Fork Composites

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon May 08, 2017 11:25 am

stevenhatchy wrote:Ordered mine on April 12. Sent them a message on Facebook today and got an email this evening with a tracking number. I will never complain, especially with the price I paid for this rod ($111.61, shipped!), but it does pay to follow up with them apparently!
Which blank did you get?

stevenhatchy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:05 am

Re: North Fork Composites

Post by stevenhatchy » Mon May 08, 2017 10:21 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
stevenhatchy wrote:Ordered mine on April 12. Sent them a message on Facebook today and got an email this evening with a tracking number. I will never complain, especially with the price I paid for this rod ($111.61, shipped!), but it does pay to follow up with them apparently!
Which blank did you get?
I got the MB 666-1(HM). I had to try one of these at that price. I have really wanted to compare the high modulus NFC to the Point Blank for a while and the price finally got where I couldn't pass it up! I'm hoping to use it for Texas rigs and jigs, but will check the action once I get the blank and see if it's more suited for treble hook lures. What's your experience with these blanks?

sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 396
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:32 pm

Re: North Fork Composites

Post by sarcazmo » Sat May 13, 2017 1:09 am

stevenhatchy wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
stevenhatchy wrote:Ordered mine on April 12. Sent them a message on Facebook today and got an email this evening with a tracking number. I will never complain, especially with the price I paid for this rod ($111.61, shipped!), but it does pay to follow up with them apparently!
Which blank did you get?
I got the MB 666-1(HM). I had to try one of these at that price. I have really wanted to compare the high modulus NFC to the Point Blank for a while and the price finally got where I couldn't pass it up! I'm hoping to use it for Texas rigs and jigs, but will check the action once I get the blank and see if it's more suited for treble hook lures. What's your experience with these blanks?
Can't wait to hear some impressions on these blanks. (especially against all the usual heavy hitters SCV, k2 etc) I don't have much experience with NFC. Lately I've been hooked on the eternity 2s, I built two more 72MH and one Liberty 764. (Liberty blanks seem really nice as well).

stevenhatchy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:05 am

Re: North Fork Composites

Post by stevenhatchy » Sat May 13, 2017 2:50 am

I got my blank in today. The box it was shipped in was broke clean in two about a third of the way down, so my heart sank. Fortunately, the bubble wrap had done its job and the rod seems to be in fine shape. The blank looked straight and definitely felt like a top dollar blank in hand. It weighed 1.9 ounces and, just from initial impressions, seems to be rated about right (1/4 - 1 ounce). Dropped it off with my builder at lunch and I am going to do a basic build just like my Point Blank, but with a conventional wrap instead of spiral. Once I get it back, I will post some pictures and a review.

User avatar
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 5757
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: North Fork Composites

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat May 13, 2017 3:29 am

stevenhatchy wrote:I got my blank in today. The box it was shipped in was broke clean in two about a third of the way down, so my heart sank. Fortunately, the bubble wrap had done its job and the rod seems to be in fine shape. The blank looked straight and definitely felt like a top dollar blank in hand. It weighed 1.9 ounces and, just from initial impressions, seems to be rated about right (1/4 - 1 ounce). Dropped it off with my builder at lunch and I am going to do a basic build just like my Point Blank, but with a conventional wrap instead of spiral. Once I get it back, I will post some pictures and a review.
An ounce might be pushing it with that blank. It has an ERN of 23.38. For reference the PB you have has an ERN of 20.7. I have the SJ705 which has pretty close to the same power. I'd say 5/8 oz is about tops. I'd spiral wrap it unless there is a chance you may end up selling it. My MB664 I just got will be started next week. I can't wait. My 1st HM. I'm going to extend it a few inches and use it for power finesse oriented stuff. What components are you going to use?

stevenhatchy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:05 am

Re: North Fork Composites

Post by stevenhatchy » Sat May 13, 2017 4:14 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
stevenhatchy wrote:I got my blank in today. The box it was shipped in was broke clean in two about a third of the way down, so my heart sank. Fortunately, the bubble wrap had done its job and the rod seems to be in fine shape. The blank looked straight and definitely felt like a top dollar blank in hand. It weighed 1.9 ounces and, just from initial impressions, seems to be rated about right (1/4 - 1 ounce). Dropped it off with my builder at lunch and I am going to do a basic build just like my Point Blank, but with a conventional wrap instead of spiral. Once I get it back, I will post some pictures and a review.
An ounce might be pushing it with that blank. It has an ERN of 23.38. For reference the PB you have has an ERN of 20.7. I have the SJ705 which has pretty close to the same power. I'd say 5/8 oz is about tops. I'd spiral wrap it unless there is a chance you may end up selling it. My MB664 I just got will be started next week. I can't wait. My 1st HM. I'm going to extend it a few inches and use it for power finesse oriented stuff. What components are you going to use?
Thanks for the good info. I'm a novice at all this stuff, so I still don't know the ins and outs of ERN and such. What is your favorite benefit about the spiral wrap? I love it on my Point Blank, so I will probably contact the builder and do it on this one too, I just would love to hear an experienced opinion on it from someone who isn't trying to sell it.

I am using a Fuji Ecs Blank through seat as I find them most comfortable. I am going to use a foam handle and locking nut with Fuji titanium guides. Just glossy black thread and no decoration. Looking for a sleek, clean build that's all business.

User avatar
rh_916
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 189
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:47 pm

Re: North Fork Composites

Post by rh_916 » Wed May 17, 2017 12:04 pm

Almost a month and a half I just got an notice from nfc that there shipping me my 705hm and 809 hm blank to me. Should be here by friday.

TK_duluthbass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:09 pm

Re: North Fork Composites

Post by TK_duluthbass » Wed May 17, 2017 9:49 pm

I finally got a notice that mine will be shipped too, however, they messed up my order and only shipped 3 of the 4 rods I ordered. I let them know of their mistake a week ago and their response was they'd look into it and I haven't heard back. ](*,)

Post Reply