first-time rod builder questions

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Hoosierhawg
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

first-time rod builder questions

Post by Hoosierhawg » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:57 am

Hello, I recently joined this forum to get advice on building my own rods, or possibly having them built. I'll start by explaining what exactly I'm after. At this point in time, I've not held a rod that I liked better than the original GLXs. I really enjoy the original IMXs as well. Since these rods are no longer available, I'm looking to achieve similar, or better, performance out of custom built rods. I want to keep my total below $300...shooting for around $250.

The criteria:
1. Sensitivity...at least equalling old IMXs, but hoping for close to GLXs
2. Full cork grip...no split-grips
3. Decent balance with 6-7 ounce baitcaster
4. Fuji ECS reel seat
5. Fuji K series guides
6. No fancy wrap, just functionality with minimal "bling"

Trying to stay within my price range, I've compiled a list of blank models that have my interest. They are as follows:
1. Phenix Ultra MBX
2. Batson Rainshadow Immortal
3. Point Blank
4. Hydra
5. MHX high modulous gen2
Sure, I'd love to try NFC HM or IM, Phenix K2, or St. Croix SCV...but I think they'll drive my price too high at this point in time. So, using a MBR 844C as a comparison, which of these blanks would get me the closest in terms of sensitivity? I've heard that the MHX blanks are nearly identical in terms of action, but not quite as sensitive. I can adjust to differing action. If it seems a little too stiff, I'll use it for larger jigs...a little to soft, I'll use it for finesse plastics. Sensitivity within my price range is paramount in my decision.

I'm glad I discovered this forum. Seems to be a wealth of knowledge here. Thanks in advance for any information.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: first-time rod builder questions

Post by Mattman » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:40 am

In my opinion, the Point Blank is the highest performer on your list.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:02 am

Point Blank and Phenix Umbx would be my top 2 choices from that list in terms of overall performance.

fshn4lmt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fshn4lmt » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:51 pm

A glx cannot be had for 250-300,and a custom in the same ballpark won't be either.I can appreciate where you are trying to get,but top of the line blanks are expensive and something that is rarely talked about is the price to ship blanks/finished rods.what I do is try to order multiple blanks at a time to spread shipping costs out between several people.If you do a single build,the shipping is high coming and going.I prefer full cork handles myself,and 10 inches of good cork rings is spendy also.I have built plenty of mhx blanks,and they are just ok-not even in the same league as glx/imx.The ultra mbx is better,but not as featherlight and crisp.I cannot comment about the others,as I haven't had the pleasure to build on any of them yet.I think the legend elite st.croix would be the closest to the loomis blanks that you mentioned that I have wrapped.I personally would LOVE Gary dobyns to sell his blanks,I feel like his actions/lengths are unique to his line and no blank manufacturers offers anything even close.

Hoosierhawg
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Hoosierhawg » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:34 pm

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

Hoosierhawg
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Hoosierhawg » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:23 am

Just out of curiosity, what blanks would perform at the level of the old GLX blanks? I won't be sending that much on my first go-round, but I'd like recommendations to consider in the future.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:22 am

Hoosierhawg wrote:Just out of curiosity, what blanks would perform at the level of the old GLX blanks? I won't be sending that much on my first go-round, but I'd like recommendations to consider in the future.
Can you describe in some detail what you're looking for in a blank? As for the Glx, I think NFCs IM line would be a good fit. If you can swing it on your 1st builds, I really don't think you'd be disappointed with the Umbx line from Phenix. I feel these are likely some of the best blanks before you step into what's considered top tier blanks. People look for different qualities and characteristics in blanks. Myself, I really like the feel and tapers of the K2 and Point Blank. I think the Mhx high mods and Rainshadow Immortal are nice blanks for the money, but I wouldn't put them in the same league as the blanks I mentioned above.

Hoosierhawg
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Hoosierhawg » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:32 am

My main concern is sensitivity, above all else. I have an old MBR 844 that I use for jigs. I can find no flaw in this rod....sensitive, plenty of backbone while still having a little bit of softness in the tip. I'm currently using Falcon Cara T7 rods for all other techniques requiring a sensitive rod(texas rigs, weightless plastics, Carolina Rigs). I like the actions/tapers of both the Loomis and Falcons. Sensitivity is no-contest...GLX kills the Caras. Both balance well.

• I grew up fishing All Star rods...decent sensitivity for a cheaper rod. All backbone with no tip action, like a broomstick. Too stiff for my liking.
• I've owned a few Kistler Helium LTA rods...didn't see what all the fuss was about. Sensitivity was alright. Extremely tip heavy to me, and I feel like the actions were more of a moderate-fast than a fast action. I like this for other techniques, but I prefer a fast-extra fast action for worms & jigs.
• I have one G. Loomis Mossyback ***855. It's a fairly nice rod. It's sensitive...on par with the Caras I own, but well below GLX. I use it for heavy football jigs (1/2-3/4oz). I like the extra-fast taper of this rod a lot...for this technique.
• I have fished with a few St. Croix Avids. Sensitivity was alright...similar to Kistlers I had. They seemed to be about one step more powerful than their ratings indicated. A medium was more like a MH, etc. I have a difficult time describing their blanks...I would call them fast action, but still with a more parabolic bend. I liked them, but not as well as my Caras, Mossyback, or GLX.
• I have fished a few IMX rods, as well. I like them very much, but couldn't justify the cost difference between them and the Caras. They are noticeably more sensitive, but I'd call it draw on all other aspects.

So...I guess I'm looking for a faster tapered blank (i.e. GLX, IMX, Cara), but a little more forgiving than the St. Croixs I've felt. Sensitivity is the ultimate goal. I have rods that balance and load/unload as I like, but after acquiring my GLX, I want all of my bottom - contact rods to be that sensitive. Lol.

I had heard in the past that, by using lighter materials in a build, one could gain sensitivity. My initial thought was to use one of the middle-class blanks mentioned above in conjunction with Fuji titanium frame SiC guides in a "micro" sizing in an attempt to cheat my way into a more affordable version of something like a GLX. Based on the information I have gained on here, I believe I may have been mislead. I'm sure saving weight increases sensitivity, but maybe not to the extent I had hoped. I do still intend to give it a go on a custom rod in the near future...probably using a Point Blank or UMBX blank. It may very well fall short of my expectations, but it'll be a learning experience. Thanks very much for your honest opinions. I'm all ears, if anyone has any more recommendations.

JTinKC
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JTinKC » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:48 pm

Get in on that NFC 50% off sale and get the HM blanks for a little more than $100. Can't beat it right now.

drift123
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by drift123 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:03 pm

HM or IM both offerings from NFC will perform with the best out there today.

drift123
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by drift123 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:04 pm

%50 is an amazing opportunity for rod builders right now. Stock up and you can't lose