Does Shikari deadstock exist?

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Frosty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Does Shikari deadstock exist?

Post by Frosty » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:48 am

Would love to find some

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: Does Shikari deadstock exist?

Post by Mattman » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:03 pm

There could be a little here and there.

I would be VERY careful if you hear of any. Several years after the closure there were counterfeits galore. With some of the stuff I heard, I think there are more counterfeits out there than there are legit blanks.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

Frosty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Frosty » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:53 am

Thanks for the heads up! I will give up on scratching that itch :lol: I fished with a buddy's old custom last year, and while it was nice, it wasn't HM, SCV, NRX sensitive. I think I've always wanted one just because it's hard to find :-({|= :oops: Pretty sure this board knows that feeling.

spoonplugger1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by spoonplugger1 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:11 pm

I still have a few I haven't got built yet, SHX and SH III, no SH II left. I used to buy all the blank stock for the rod builders in our bass club because I had the wholesale license and I custom build rods. Wish I still had some of the 764 flipping stick blanks, I still think they are the finest blank ever developed for flipping. Anyway club members got the blanks for 5% over cost, plus shipping and Fed Tax. You can ship 10 blanks for the cost of one, so shipping was shared over any orders and they all went out as a group order.
The biggest rip off was tried by a company no longer in business, Merrick Tackle, somebody dumpster dove the Shikari plant and than Merrick bought all of it. They were selling this stuff that was total junk, using the Shikari name for $ 15 a blank, many probably remember the uproar that caused, Merrick lost some of their sponsorships on some forums over that for a year or more.
The SHXi line didn't last long, if you were one of those that didn't respect your gear, they would turn into shrapnel before your eyes. The SHX and others were the real deal though, similar power, weigh, sensitivity and actions to the G Loomis blanks you could buy at the time.

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:42 am

FS764... ah the memories.

i still have some old shikari stuff, but it is all low powered spinning stuff

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:10 am

The get bit 764 flip that's labeled a liberty brand is very close to that 764. Very nice blank I feel
Legend Alpha 211/Merc 250 Pro XS

sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sarcazmo » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:09 am

falcon wrote:The get bit 764 flip that's labeled a liberty brand is very close to that 764. Very nice blank I feel
I remember reading someone saying it was modeled after that blank. I think I read it over @ bbc

dv1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dv1 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:56 pm

I have one casting rod (pmb703 shx) and a 7' spinning med power bass rod SHX (can't recall model number right now). Very nice rods. They were some of the first rods I built. I think my 3rd and 4th.