Fuji's new thinner SIC insert

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Fuji's new thinner SIC insert

Post by JWR075 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:39 am

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Fuji's new thinner SIC insert

Post by Bronzeye » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:48 am

While I'm happy to see guide weight go down, I have one concern. When a leader is in touch with a guide ring on a cast and the leader knot hits it, will there be less of a tapered ramp for the leader to slide up and over on the thinner rings, leading to more jarring contact and loss of distance?

I have a spinning rod with micro guides toward the tip on which I can hear and feel a leader knot slamming and jumping, instead of sliding, through the guides. I haven't used braid-to-fluoro with it since I learned the FG knot, and maybe that knot will take care of the problem with braids that grip a fluoro leader with the FG knot.

The blown-up (doubtlessly computer-generated) images seem to exaggerate the continued presence of a comparable-size "ramp" on the guide ring curvature, but the matched images of the old and new ring sizes for the complete range of available guide sizes suggest to me that, especially with thicker lines, the front edge of many leader knots might have to stutter and jump the ring instead of sliding over.

Or maybe I'm just nuts.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:00 pm

Looks like the market is demanding something cheaper than Torzite still...

Sic is still by far one of the best materials hands down for guides, Gold Cermet (RIP) and Torzite are just too expensive IMHO for our builds - unless your looking at custom buildes etc.

Going for knots - the FG is by far one of the best knots but one of the longest to tie with the most amount of waste in line and leader also IMHO.

Ive tried the J Knot for the last few weeks and have had good / great results with it travelilng through both normal and micro guides, vry much dependant on the main line to leader line weights, if your using 6lb main and 20lb FC leader than yeh there is going to be noise regardless, but I am pretty happy running the 6lb JBraid and 14lb Vanish leader.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:54 am

I wonder how durable those rings will be. I cracked a few of the thicker SIC rings when I was a young non-boater that transported my rods more often. What is the consensus on the durability of Alconite, SIC, and Torzite when it comes to impacts? I know that all are hard enough that line grooving shouldn't be an issue, unless you believe the Torzite rumors.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:11 am

Impact is an impact in any terms but strength of said impact will vary.

I've banged a few guides in my time and had rods drop onto outside pavers but thankfully never crack...

Aconite and Sic so far held up, Aconite is supposed to be more forgiving and Sic more brittle, Torzite haven't heard much of here in Aus (such a small forgotten market).

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:43 am

Slazmo wrote:Impact is an impact in any terms but strength of said impact will vary.

I've banged a few guides in my time and had rods drop onto outside pavers but thankfully never crack...

Aconite and Sic so far held up, Aconite is supposed to be more forgiving and Sic more brittle, Torzite haven't heard much of here in Aus (such a small forgotten market).
That's what I thought based on my experiences. I only have about six rods with Fuji SIC guides. I have cracked two tips and one running guide. I have about thirty rods with Fuji Alconite, and I have yet to crack one, knock on wood. I haven't broken any guides since I started using rod covers about a decade ago. I wish they were more prevalent when I was a non-boater.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:29 am

Ive been enlightened with rod socks and the pro's when trudging through our bush...

Certainly helps locating where the rod is vs the next hang up stick - much easier to brusg through it than an exposed rod and line.

Angler JO
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Angler JO » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:31 am

Fuji has tested TORZITE® against SiC for "toughness" and "fracture resistance" and TORZITE® has tested about 30% better in both categories. But here's he interesting thing. I have yet to see Fuji or anyone else quantify the characteristic that seems most important...resiliency. TORZITE® bounces when you drop a ring against a solid surface. I mean it really bounces. SiC just dies really quick. Fuji translates that as "toughness" but it seems obvious that TORZITE® has a better chance of surviving a smack against a surface because it can compress and recover (hence the bounce) way better than SiC. Combine this odd resiliency with higher fracture (chip) resistance and I think you have a pretty good ring. Add a bigger ID and a smoother, less abrasive surface...

...and a rod sock
Angler's Resource

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:48 pm

Angler JO wrote:Fuji has tested TORZITE® against SiC for "toughness" and "fracture resistance" and TORZITE® has tested about 30% better in both categories. But here's he interesting thing. I have yet to see Fuji or anyone else quantify the characteristic that seems most important...resiliency. TORZITE® bounces when you drop a ring against a solid surface. I mean it really bounces. SiC just dies really quick. Fuji translates that as "toughness" but it seems obvious that TORZITE® has a better chance of surviving a smack against a surface because it can compress and recover (hence the bounce) way better than SiC. Combine this odd resiliency with higher fracture (chip) resistance and I think you have a pretty good ring. Add a bigger ID and a smoother, less abrasive surface...

...and a rod sock
Very interesting. I haven't used Torzite guides yet. Maybe on my next high end worm rod? How does the Alconite compare? I have black steel framed Alconite guides on most of my customs with great durability all the way back to the introduction of Alconite. I know they aren't light, but time has proven that they are durable and a solid value.

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:54 pm

Good news!

I wish Daiwa AGS guides comes to domestic market. Wanna try those.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:49 pm

MardukFIN wrote:Good news!

I wish Daiwa AGS guides comes to domestic market. Wanna try those.
They've got their own reliability issues. Series 2 AGS should smooth out the issues.

Angler JO
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Angler JO » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:19 am

toddmc, think of ALCONITE as a Toyota Camry and TORZITE as a Lexus LS. Both great cars, both made in Japan. One with a little more attention to detail, better engineering and premium materials.
Angler's Resource

drift123
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by drift123 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:10 pm

Angler JO wrote:Fuji has tested TORZITE® against SiC for "toughness" and "fracture resistance" and TORZITE® has tested about 30% better in both categories. But here's he interesting thing. I have yet to see Fuji or anyone else quantify the characteristic that seems most important...resiliency. TORZITE® bounces when you drop a ring against a solid surface. I mean it really bounces. SiC just dies really quick. Fuji translates that as "toughness" but it seems obvious that TORZITE® has a better chance of surviving a smack against a surface because it can compress and recover (hence the bounce) way better than SiC. Combine this odd resiliency with higher fracture (chip) resistance and I think you have a pretty good ring. Add a bigger ID and a smoother, less abrasive surface...

...and a rod sock
Thanks for sharing, I have been a SIc guy for years. Will need to try torzite