Rainshadow Eternity builds?

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
stevenhatchy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Rainshadow Eternity builds?

Post by stevenhatchy » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:19 am

Has anyone built a rod on the new Rainshadow Eternity blanks? I am considering their ETEC 72 MH-SS for a 1/2 ounce and heavier jig rod and big topwater walkers. I also am considering a similar Point Blank rod or possibly a Phenix K2. Any opinions?

Susitnasalmonguide
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Rainshadow Eternity builds?

Post by Susitnasalmonguide » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:27 am

I am in the process of building the same Eternity blank you are talking about and a Point Blank PB731MHXF. Presently I have the handles glued on, guides spaced and on the blanks, but have not started wrapping either rod. Both blanks have a light and sensitive feel to them. The new Eternity seems to have a lighter overall weight and more flexible tip than the earlier Eternity series -- on which I built 2 different models. I am thinking I'll very much enjoy both rods when finished --and part of the reason I purchased both blanks was so I could compare them -- however -- living in Alaska it is doubtful I will have much of an opportunity to fish either rod until a lot of snow and ice melts -- usually early or mid May. I would classify these as both very high end blanks -- expecting excellent sensitivity -- I wonder how they will do with lures in the upper ends of the weight ranges -- I am also wondering how much fish fighting backbone each will have. Whenever using a higher end rod I am usually bit hesitant to apply as much pressure as I would with a lower quality blank.

Hope that helps -- and I know there are other rod builders on the forum who could give you more specific and thorough advice -- if they have experience with this Eternity Blank.

Sustinasalmonguide
Quantum, HL Outdoors - ESB Bobbers, Pautzke Bait Company, Sufix

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:08 am

I've spoken with a few guys who have built on the new Eternity. They said they're fantastic. You already have a Point Blank so perhaps a little variety? Of all the customs I've owned personally, the K2 is just special. Love the feel and tapers. I'd choose based on which blank is going to serve your intended purpose best. Keep us posted.

stevenhatchy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by stevenhatchy » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:14 am

Thanks for the info and advice. Sorry for the delayed response, I was out of the country.

I am intrigued by the Rainshadow and might have to give it a try, just to have one of each. I have been more than satisfied with my Point Blank and their customer service is outstanding. If I do try a Rainshadow, at least I will be able to compare the two and maybe help someone else's decision later. They will be two totally different animals, but I ought to be able to at least garner a few observations about the characteristics of both companies and their blanks.

Thanks again for the help!