2 sided tape for installing grips

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
mada1594
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

2 sided tape for installing grips

Post by mada1594 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:21 pm

hi everyone I am installing some new eva grips on my brothers old old rod, its my first time, and I saw a video on youtube of a winn grips pro staffer using double sided tape and mineral spirits spray to put on split grips and I was wondering is that a good way to do it or should I use something else?
gone fishin! borderline 11!

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: 2 sided tape for installing grips

Post by Mattman » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:21 pm

In my opinion, no tape is strong enough or permanent enough for structural tasks.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:56 pm

I watched the videos as well and was curious.

First, I have a problem with reaming out the new handle to go on over the butt. Obviously, the diameter of the butt will be larger than that of where the grip will come to rest. This leads me to think the connection will be no where near a factory grip installed from the tip.

Second, as a golfer as well, I know tape can hold a grip. All of the golf club grips are held in place by the same tape. However, depending on grip materials, it is not impossible to twist or realign a grip after installing. This also leads me to believe, the aftermarket grip will be prone to twist and slippage.

Now, you could get away with it no problem. Also, if it is an old rod that can be usable again, it is kind of cool. I just wouldn't replace quality factory handles for the winn feel.

Lastly, back to golf, Winn grips feel really nice for a short period of time. Depending on usage, the material begins to wear away, crumble, and needs replacing. I stopped using Winn grips on my clubs because they would not last a season if I'm playing regularly.

Just some of my thoughts...

mada1594
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mada1594 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:54 am

RMCatchNrelease wrote:I watched the videos as well and was curious.

First, I have a problem with reaming out the new handle to go on over the butt. Obviously, the diameter of the butt will be larger than that of where the grip will come to rest. This leads me to think the connection will be no where near a factory grip installed from the tip.

Second, as a golfer as well, I know tape can hold a grip. All of the golf club grips are held in place by the same tape. However, depending on grip materials, it is not impossible to twist or realign a grip after installing. This also leads me to believe, the aftermarket grip will be prone to twist and slippage.

Now, you could get away with it no problem. Also, if it is an old rod that can be usable again, it is kind of cool. I just wouldn't replace quality factory handles for the winn feel.

Lastly, back to golf, Winn grips feel really nice for a short period of time. Depending on usage, the material begins to wear away, crumble, and needs replacing. I stopped using Winn grips on my clubs because they would not last a season if I'm playing regularly.

Just some of my thoughts...
thanks for the input I guess epoxy will be the way to go then ](*,) lol

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:09 am

I'm a former golf pro and I have installed quite a few grips. They hold fine with the tape, but your club grips stay in your bag out of the sun. If you leave a club out in the hot 100 degree plus heat in my area, the tape can slip. My rods get really hot when I leave them on the light tan carpeted deck of my boat in the summer. I wouldn't leave them on a darker carpeted deck without Winn grips, much less with them.

mada1594
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mada1594 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:49 am

toddmc wrote:I'm a former golf pro and I have installed quite a few grips. They hold fine with the tape, but your club grips stay in your bag out of the sun. If you leave a club out in the hot 100 degree plus heat in my area, the tape can slip. My rods get really hot when I leave them on the light tan carpeted deck of my boat in the summer. I wouldn't leave them on a darker carpeted deck without Winn grips, much less with them.
that's a great point I didn't think about that. I thought since golfers use it that it would be strong enough but I didn't think about the heat and everything so I will use epoxy instead. I was just trying to avoid the mess of using epoxy but I guess there are no shortcuts if you want a great product. thanks for the input! :D

drift123
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by drift123 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:07 pm

toddmc wrote:I'm a former golf pro and I have installed quite a few grips. They hold fine with the tape, but your club grips stay in your bag out of the sun. If you leave a club out in the hot 100 degree plus heat in my area, the tape can slip. My rods get really hot when I leave them on the light tan carpeted deck of my boat in the summer. I wouldn't leave them on a darker carpeted deck without Winn grips, much less with them.
Fishing elements are a different story when you consider heat and moisture, then cold conditions. Everything is capable of breaking down in the elements.

drift123
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by drift123 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:07 pm

Don't reinvent the wheel. Tried and true choices out there